View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error in UK vs NKU administered incorrectly

Unless someone else wants to see it, I don't really need to see a video.

Here is the sequence of events (nothing about this is really in question):

1. A foul is called with 12:30 on the clock in the 2nd half.
2. UK is given a throwin for the foul.
3. The throw in is completed and play continues until the horn is sounded at 12:27.
4. The officials whistle the play dead at 12:26.
5. The foul was the 7th foul.
6. The officials have the clock reset to 12:30.
7. The fouled player is awarded the FTs as earned.

There was at least one error but there may have been two errors. I noticed one at the time and noticed what appeared to another when reviewing the NCAA rules to make sure there wasn't a difference I had forgotten about.

The first error I noticed what when they restored the time. In both the NCAA and NFHS, all time consumed between the error and the recognition of the error is lost.

Quote:
Rule 2, Section 12, Art. 4 and Art 5.... a. Points scored, time consumed and additional activity that may occur before the recognition of the error shall not be nullified
The second error was, if I am reading it right, made by the timer in sounding the horn when he/she did. The relevant NCAA rules, as far as I can tell, are:

Quote:
Rule 2, Section 9 (Duties of Scorers), Art. 15. When a correctable error is called to the official scorer’s attention while the game clock is running, the timers shall not use the game-clock horn until the ball has become dead

Rule 2, Section 10 (Duties of Timers), Art. 13. Sound the game-clock horn when the ball has become dead and any of the following have been brought to the scorer’s attention by a head coach or table official (includes an approved standby official):
a. The possibility of a correctable error situation as in Rule 2-12;
But then, it says:

Quote:
Rule 5, Section 11. Stopping Game and Shot Clocks
The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official
Art 5. Responds to the official timer’s signal to grant a head coach’s
request to address the possibility of a correctable error as in Rule 2-12 or to
determine whether a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake needs
to be prevented or rectified
So, these two sections seem potentially contradictory. In the first two, it clearly indicates that the scorer and timer are to wait until the ball is dead to sound the horn. But in the last reference, it refers to the official stopping the clock. Unless they are referring to the brief period after a made basket when the ball is dead but the clock is running, there will be no signal for the official to respond to according to the timer/scorer duties.

I've always instructed that the timer/score should sound the horn as soon as a problem is discovered as long as there was no imminent or potentially imminent shot.

Was that also improperly handled or am I misreading the NCAA rule?

If the duties of the scorers/timers are correct, that would allow the team due FTs to score a FG or be fouled again and then get the FTs due from the original foul.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Mar 18, 2017 at 01:54am.