View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Was doing a VB game this year and home team coach does officiate some on the weekend (kids/travel/high school rec stuff)...

1Q my first whistle of the game was on a drive originating from the C....I'm the lead see the contact, give partner first crack and then I put a whistle on it. It was late, probably later than it should have been, but it was the right call.

I go over the report and coach isn't pleased. I admit it was late, but it was the right call. Coach then proceeds to explain "I ref and the rule book says you don't call a foul that late."

I'm of the school that if you officiate, especially at a high level, you should know better than bark and chirp at an official as it can be a difficult game to call. However, thinking a coaches mindset will change because they officiate sometimes doesn't change the end result of their behavior....

What I'd want to say, "Coach, you throw a garbage rule like that at me again and I'll call a technical foul."

What I'd actually do is ignore him and tune him out. If he gets my attention again, it had better be for a timeout.