View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
With more experience I will be ready with an appropriate reply to pregame comments like that - I just ignored it this time.
That's your best approach.

My experience is that if they are coaches who also officiate, they can be a pain. If they are officials who also coach, they are great (with a few exceptions). There are some high level local officials (varsity state tournament, and college) who are a pleasure to work for when they coach (primarily middle school and JV).

The main difference: even though you know they officiate, and they know you by name, they never, ever, try to use that to their advantage. They ask better questions, but that's about it.

Back to your OP: You did right by emailing your assigner about his stuff, and don't worry about missing a travel now and then. Sure, work on the pivot foot, but not to the point where it's your best call. You're better off at this point learning to differentiate between fouls and incidental contact. "Close but a travel" is not necessarily something you need to be calling, and if it needed called, your partner should have got it if he saw it.

His "8-5" comment gets an easy T if I hear it.

Your second coach screaming for a foul is likely going to get a T from me in a ms game. If not, I've tuned her out and she'll be lucky if I hear "time out" when she needs it.