View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 16, 2017, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

In my experience if a coach is mostly a referee they are awesome referees. If they are mostly a coach with some referee experience they are horrible coaches and referees.

They are just to competitive to truly embrace a stance of seeing where you are what you are calling and understanding we cant be perfect. If he tells you he refereed or does he is saying he wants you to make calls that help him and the way his girls play to gain an advantage. Once they do this I pretty much know I have to call my game, take care of business and ignore him.

Basketball is hard to referee. You are here because you care and are trying to get better. He is there to win. And no one should ever give you that level of crap.

Div 1 Final four guy reminds me every year. If he shows you who he is you better believe him.

Only coach I ever listen to is the one who asks respectful questions. The rest it treat as a guy who wants to win and will say and do anything to win.

When a coach tells me this will happen and you better call it. I say I will referee how I have been trained and I need you to coach your kids not my crew. Then he knows that manipulation attempted failed and I am just going to work my game and not think about him at all.

I wouldnt let a coach yell at you, ever. First chance you get tell him you cant be yelling at me. If you want to ask me a question when I am close that is great. No more yelling. If he doesnt know he is getting a T for yelling then he will find out really fast.

Great job not engaging the coach after the game. Whenever you have a coach like that find a safe place away from him after the game and write a report that he sought you out. Horrible what these coaches do to newer officials. We dont want you quitting over this kind of behavior. Stick at it man.

That last coach... we are americans. We blame everyone and take no accountability. You worked hard and know there was no contact. Coach I am right there. She lost her balance no one make contact with her.

Sounds like you are already doing well as an official. Dont be discouraged and keep coming here. I have learned a lot over the years.