View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
I spent last March rewinding/reviewing every spin move I saw. None were, technically, legal. It's incredibly difficult/awkward to get that first foot down before ending your dribble. It just doesn't happen that way.

That said, if neither coach, none of the players, none of the fans and nearly none of my fellow officials think that play is or should be illegal I'm not going to die on that hill.
I did a similar video analysis.breakdown several years ago now involving the take off with open step vs cross over step pivot foot. Reality was that at any level 90%+ of all the open steps did not have the ball leaving contact with the hand before the back foot came off the ground. At the time I made an argument with our association that we were missing that 90%+ of those calls.

Similar response and result from our membership. If they needed video to see it and coaches/fans etc were fine they weren't going to make an issue of it. They would rather get the obvious ones only.

We actually had a couple of collegiate leagues that called it that way for a couple of years around here (which is where I got the inspiration). THey at one point had a NCAA Div 1 transfer who was called for 12 travels in her first game. They have since since backed off on it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!