The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
ESPN: With 15:59 remaining in 2nd half, AZ player initially called for a flagrant 1 foul. After review, downgraded to common foul. F1 in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #7:

Peace
I have no idea why they downgraded it. That's an easy flagrant-1 once you go to the monitor.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have no idea why they downgraded it. That's an easy flagrant-1 once you go to the monitor.
I think he was just trying to kind of bump him like a defender would do normally and did not see his arm movement any more than just that. I do not think he was throwing a blow at all. But I see why it was called initially for sure. I have mixed feelings on the downgrade, but I understand.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
To call Bill Walton an announcer is an insult to all announcers... He is terrible. Just talks to hear his own voice and thinks he is funny when he is insulting. I can't watch a game that he is on....
Jay Bilas is another so called "announcer" who I tend to ignore, but who spreads rules misinterpretations as well.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think he was just trying to kind of bump him like a defender would do normally and did not see his arm movement any more than just that. I do not think he was throwing a blow at all. But I see why it was called initially for sure. I have mixed feelings on the downgrade, but I understand.

Peace
I agree. The contact was really nothing more than a basic handcheck or push.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
I spent last March rewinding/reviewing every spin move I saw. None were, technically, legal. It's incredibly difficult/awkward to get that first foot down before ending your dribble. It just doesn't happen that way.

That said, if neither coach, none of the players, none of the fans and nearly none of my fellow officials think that play is or should be illegal I'm not going to die on that hill.
I did a similar video analysis.breakdown several years ago now involving the take off with open step vs cross over step pivot foot. Reality was that at any level 90%+ of all the open steps did not have the ball leaving contact with the hand before the back foot came off the ground. At the time I made an argument with our association that we were missing that 90%+ of those calls.

Similar response and result from our membership. If they needed video to see it and coaches/fans etc were fine they weren't going to make an issue of it. They would rather get the obvious ones only.

We actually had a couple of collegiate leagues that called it that way for a couple of years around here (which is where I got the inspiration). THey at one point had a NCAA Div 1 transfer who was called for 12 travels in her first game. They have since since backed off on it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Similar response and result from our membership. If they needed video to see it and coaches/fans etc were fine they weren't going to make an issue of it. They would rather get the obvious ones only.
The thing is you don't need a video to see it one you know what you're looking at. If it takes video to train people to see it, that should be OK. Anyone that wants to get better looks a video of plays to analyze them and get better at real time recognition. Why should traveling be any different?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The thing is you don't need a video to see it one you know what you're looking at. If it takes video to train people to see it, that should be OK. Anyone that wants to get better looks a video of plays to analyze them and get better at real time recognition. Why should traveling be any different?
I agree 100%. If you look at 50 similar plays and they're ALL travels "in slow motion", then it shouldn't really require slow motion to identify anymore. I make this point every time someone says this in an area meeting.

But again, it falls on deaf ears and I'm not going to the only one calling them.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
I agree 100%. If you look at 50 similar plays and they're ALL travels "in slow motion", then it shouldn't really require slow motion to identify anymore. I make this point every time someone says this in an area meeting.

But again, it falls on deaf ears and I'm not going to the only one calling them.
Agreed. But as you say unless everyone wants to call it that way then you aren't going to be the guy stuck doing jv girls games every Friday night because no one wants to work with/assign games to the guy who calls 40 travels when everyone else is calling 2.

There is also some concern always expressed about if it is a travel 9 out of 10 times, they would rather no call it 10 times then call it wrong once.

I see it the the other way that if I'm no calling it I am getting 9 wrong. I would rather get 1 wrong than 9 wrong. But my wife would tell me that just because I see it that way doesn't make it right (in fact her stance is that it generally means I'm wrong - who knew there was a correct way to put milk containers back in the fridge)

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
who knew there was a correct way to put milk containers back in the fridge)
Only in Canada where your milk comes in funny bags rather than a carton...
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Only in Canada where your milk comes in funny bags rather than a carton...
I love my country but hate the funny bags . . .