View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I think that the timing of the Lead's transition run is excellent. He doesn't bail out on the play at the other end and then hustles down the court in front of the action.

The only issue could be that he may run too far forward once reaching the end line. This would take him past the point from where he has an open look. When anticipating a defender and attacker coming chest-to-chest, I would recommend halting right on the OOB line or perhaps a step inbounds to have the best view of the space between the players.

I will comment that I believe this is a defensive foul, despite the offensive player driving forward, as the arms of the defender are not even close to vertical. I also think that the C has a great look at this and thought that he might come help the crew with a whistle here after the Lead didn't have one. However, I think that he didn't because of how the offensive player came away from the defender into open space with a clear look at the basket. If the player ends up making that short shot, I don't believe that anyone would have any criticism of the officiating. They would be praised for having patient whistles at a critical point in the game.

To the aspect of time left: the ball bounces OOB about 1.4 seconds prior to the horn/red lights. However, by rule, the timer is to stop the clock on the whistle, which comes a bit later--about 0.5 seconds before the red lights. I would have preferred a minimum of 0.4 be restored to the clock because of the NFHS catch and shoot rule. Putting 0.3 back puts the team in a tap only situation.