View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2017, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Sure, makes sense to me, but I can't imagine the embarrassment for the calling official and/or the crew as a whole. By asking, I was trying to get an idea if it would be worth it to most officials here. Think about it, the team that just got 2 points awarded has them taken away so they are not happy. There would have to be a quick conference with the crew and that might not go well if the calling official debates it. There would have to probably be a quick conference with the coaches and table to explain. Players and spectators are going to be confused. It just seems that there could very well be a huge cluster in the middle of a flowing game. Plus, overuling a partner might even have long-term ramifications. I am not saying that it is not correct, just trying to get a feel for how many officials would actually risk all that at the expense of getting that particular call correct.
Getting the call right is more important than saving someone embarrassment. Come on now.

As far as the coaches, if they're still upset after you explain that by rule they can't earn 2 points that way, it's on them.

And if your partner gets butthurt about you knowing the rules better than he does, that's also on him. That's why there are 3 of us, so we don't screw up simple things like this. This isn't overruling a call, it's literally knowing what the rules allow and don't.

So if you pass on this, and the game ends up being decided by a possession or two, are you still happy with the decision?