View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopologist View Post
Hard foul ... and more?

First, let me say I'm not an official. I'm a coach of some three decades and I really enjoy the game management that officials provide. I seem to equally enjoy the conversations around rules, enforcement, and the myriad viewpoints of you guys running the floor. So thanks for this forum.

Should I ever be out of line, and I doubt that will be the case, please feel free to set me straight.

Here I'm posting a play from a recent HS BV game in Seattle. I realize the video makes it difficult to determine the nature or degree of the foul. But I'm wondering about the nuances differentiating a tough, hard-nosed foul from an intentional or flagrant.

Here the shooter is airborne but is the contact excessive merely because the shooter goes down hard? (19.3.d).
To answer your question for this play, I would say "no" IMO. Many times a player's own speed/momentum causes them to be in a position where contact, whether all ball or anywhere on the body, results in the player having a hard/awkward landing. Now, by rule, if there is excessive contact with the opponent, you have an intentional foul. By case, you can have contact only with the ball and if excessive, also have an intentional foul. For your play, I would not argue with anyone who called this an intentional foul, even if only the ball was played.