The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 567
NCAA softball pitching rules

I live in NH and next year our varsity high school pitching distance will be changed from 40 to 43 feet. Neighboring Massachusetts changed last year or the year before.

Working a tournament this weekend, this was being discussed, and some of the problems it might cause on multi-use fields, i.e. pitchers plates at 40, 43, 46 and 50 feet.

Anyways, as my partner and I were leaving the equipment check to do the pre-game, I overheard something about some NCAA pitching rule changes for next year. I didn't quite understand what they were saying, but I think one comment I heard was that the pitcher could do anything they wanted from behind the pitcher's plate. Not sure what that means, or if any of that is true.

I don't do NCAA, but I do follow some of the games on TV.

Has anyone heard something similar and explain?

Thanx,
__________________
Ted
ASA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I live in NH and next year our varsity high school pitching distance will be changed from 40 to 43 feet. Neighboring Massachusetts changed last year or the year before.

Working a tournament this weekend, this was being discussed, and some of the problems it might cause on multi-use fields, i.e. pitchers plates at 40, 43, 46 and 50 feet.

Anyways, as my partner and I were leaving the equipment check to do the pre-game, I overheard something about some NCAA pitching rule changes for next year. I didn't quite understand what they were saying, but I think one comment I heard was that the pitcher could do anything they wanted from behind the pitcher's plate. Not sure what that means, or if any of that is true.

I don't do NCAA, but I do follow some of the games on TV.

Has anyone heard something similar and explain?

Thanx,
Don't do NCAA so I haven't heard anything about rules changes, but Oregon went to 43' this past season as well. I didn't hear anything about problems with schools getting it changed, or multiple plates on a field (I only had a few games on multi-use fields).

(We were reminded that should there be a question dealing with pitching distances on the NFHS test, the "correct" distance was 40' )
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Live Free or Die Country
Posts: 175
Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
The non-voting umpire on the NCAA rules committee is from Massachusettes and he is planning to/is in the process of writing a proposed rule change that would not be voted on until the 2011 season. It is something that has been suggested and discussed on this board in the past and that is to move the circle so that the front of the circle is the pitchers plate and allow the pitcher any such motion/step/angle they desire such that their landing foot remains completely within/behind the circle/pitcher's plate.

This has been discussed amongst some of us here in the area who are familiar with the individual on the committee and the 'rumor' has been getting around, at least within our area/region. I am not certain when the committee meets again, but I do know that a final draft of the rule is to be ready for that meeting.
__________________
Wade Ireland
Softball Umpire
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue View Post
... that is to move the circle so that the front of the circle is the pitchers plate and allow the pitcher any such motion/step/angle they desire such that their landing foot remains completely within/behind the circle/pitcher's plate.
Wouldn't it be hard to step toward the plate and remain in a circle that has it's front at the pitcher's plate? How can you keep your landing foot behind pitcher's plate and step toward home plate?

I can't picture what you mean by this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Wouldn't it be hard to step toward the plate and remain in a circle that has it's front at the pitcher's plate? How can you keep your landing foot behind pitcher's plate and step toward home plate?

I can't picture what you mean by this.
I do not understand how this will work either.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 256
The only problem (a big one IMO) is that 2'-6" is not enough of a distance to prevent the pitcher from hitting the 40' plat when dragging. I worked a Gold tournament last year and there was a canyon dugout between the two plates. We had some outrageous scores at that level because the pitchers had to adjust to the conditions and could not throw their normal pitches.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 13,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Wouldn't it be hard to step toward the plate and remain in a circle that has it's front at the pitcher's plate? How can you keep your landing foot behind pitcher's plate and step toward home plate?

I can't picture what you mean by this.
A couple years ago, myself and a few others on another board had tossed around the idea of just moving the PP back to whatever, say 46', maybe 50'. Eliminate the rules concerning leaping, crow hopping, 24" pitching lane, contact with both feet, etc.

Basically, it was that the pitcher could do whatever they pleased as long as they started from a stop in contact with the PP, delivered the ball in the same underhand manner and stayed inside the same circle.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
The only problem (a big one IMO) is that 2'-6" is not enough of a distance to prevent the pitcher from hitting the 40' plat when dragging. I worked a Gold tournament last year and there was a canyon dugout between the two plates. We had some outrageous scores at that level because the pitchers had to adjust to the conditions and could not throw their normal pitches.
I think we may be comparing apples and oranges here. The distance between pitcher's plates would/might occur in high school games where both varsity and sub-varsity games are played. That's why I think it would be a problem w/ multiple PPs. When I pitched from 46 feet, and there was a second PP at 40', it was very distracting to me. Not that I could leap 5 and a half feet, but having a ball hit off that front plate was a bit scary.

The college scenario sounds like the PP would be moved about 8 feet closer to HP and that would be the "front" part of a 16' diameter circle. So a pitcher could start anywhere from about 16' behind the PP, leap, jump, crow hop, etc., deliver the ball and as long as she didn't hit or cross over the PP, that would be considered legal. Sounds a bit radical.

Or, is it leave the PP where it is, and simply move the whole circle back?

CelticNHBlue - did I grasp the concept?
__________________
Ted
ASA & NFHS Softball

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Jun 22, 2009 at 03:25pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Live Free or Die Country
Posts: 175
Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Mike has the concept pretty well summarized. The distance of the front, or closest point of the circle is still a question.

The circle is currently independant of the pitching plate and is only to be considered for the purposes of the LBR. Now, the forward perimeter is also the pitching 'limit' and is the sole issue for determing illegal pitches.
__________________
Wade Ireland
Softball Umpire
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
asa softball pitching fcgnj Softball 10 Tue Jun 02, 2009 07:48am
NCAA Softball rules video DNTXUM P Softball 5 Tue Sep 30, 2008 08:27pm
Babe Ruth Softball pitching rule DaveASA/FED Softball 1 Mon Jun 19, 2006 08:15am
NCAA Pitching TexBlue Softball 3 Mon Jun 06, 2005 01:05pm
NCAA pitching shipwreck Softball 6 Fri Apr 02, 2004 08:59pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1