View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
The only problem (a big one IMO) is that 2'-6" is not enough of a distance to prevent the pitcher from hitting the 40' plat when dragging. I worked a Gold tournament last year and there was a canyon dugout between the two plates. We had some outrageous scores at that level because the pitchers had to adjust to the conditions and could not throw their normal pitches.
I think we may be comparing apples and oranges here. The distance between pitcher's plates would/might occur in high school games where both varsity and sub-varsity games are played. That's why I think it would be a problem w/ multiple PPs. When I pitched from 46 feet, and there was a second PP at 40', it was very distracting to me. Not that I could leap 5 and a half feet, but having a ball hit off that front plate was a bit scary.

The college scenario sounds like the PP would be moved about 8 feet closer to HP and that would be the "front" part of a 16' diameter circle. So a pitcher could start anywhere from about 16' behind the PP, leap, jump, crow hop, etc., deliver the ball and as long as she didn't hit or cross over the PP, that would be considered legal. Sounds a bit radical.

Or, is it leave the PP where it is, and simply move the whole circle back?

CelticNHBlue - did I grasp the concept?

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Jun 22, 2009 at 03:25pm.