The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm hopeul this will last just one season.

It seems strange that something like the officials' uniform would be something anyone would really get up in arms about, but the old look was "timeless," as someone said, and that's a perfect description.

If comfort and usability were the ideas, they could have accomplished that in the same style without making them look like Rollerball rejects.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Now I am even more confused.

The SI article said they'd wear the knickers for warm weather and those black sweat pants for cold weather. Why??

Nobody gets cold from wearing knickers, especially with under amour or similar tights.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Let's not peg the "old fogie-o-meter"

I remember when teams went to colored facemasks instead of gray, shiny material for pants, numbers on the sides of the pants, white shoes, multicolored jerseys with stripes on the sides etc. We all got used to them and now watch NFL Films games from 1980 and realize how different things were style-wise.

I expect there will be some tweaking of the uniform but that the basic design will remain. How many teams have changed uniforms in the last ten years? Bills, Bucs, Giants, Jets, Cowboys (once in a while), 49ers, Rams, Bengals, Chargers, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals and sometimes the Redkins (all white). Usually, the self proclaimed 'old schoolers' initially squawked but everybody got used to it and went with it. I don't see a difference here.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 01:45pm
Chain of Fools

This a good crack

"They should be riding on a horse at Saratoga," one spectator cracked Thursday while watching the officials oversee a practice session.

After seeing that photo, I'm wishing we could wear black shorts for scrimmages and sub-varsity. We're still in white.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't logged on in a while, but had to come back to see what's going on with these new uniforms. I thought maybe they were just for pre-season, but am a bit shocked to see that they'll be used full-time.

I agree with the jockey comment, though!
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 02:57am
M.A.S.H.

What on earth have they done?!?!? Those look horrible (to say the least)!!!
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone, old school or otherwise, really cared much about teams' uniform changes other than the fans of the particular team -- unless the unis were really outlandish. I'm not a Rams fan, but I didn't like the Rams change a few years ago, since I liked the Rams' uniform. But that wasn't a style thing, rather, the color.

I can deal with the shirt change. If they left everything else alone, that would be fine. Going to sweat pants.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Now I am even more confused.

The SI article said they'd wear the knickers for warm weather and those black sweat pants for cold weather. Why??

Nobody gets cold from wearing knickers, especially with under amour or similar tights.
I assume from your name that you haven't worked many games in Wyoming during a mid october blizzard?? If Carhart would come out with a white knicker it would be fine with me for that time of year LOL
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

What I don't like is the numbering and the black pocket.

But overall, the thing I didn't like when watching the game the other night was that the officials blended in so that they were harder to pick out, at least on screen.

Perhaps this is part of what they were looking for, since the officials should be noticed as little as possible, but as someone who watches the officials as much as the players, I found it difficult. The officials and the Eagles' players (in white uniforms with black and green) looked somewhat similar to me on screen. Enough so that I did not like it at all.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Does Wyoming now have an NFL franchise?

We're not talking about 1955 or even 1985. With UA cold gear and a good pair of knickers (Honigs elite), what exactly can you wear, regardless of color, that's going to keep you any warmer on that part of your body Besides that, what exactly do the sweatpants here do that the knickers don't? The real warmth is going to come from the tights of some sort, UA or long underwear. You do know there are ~flannel or windblocker lined knickers, don't you?

I know its hard to believe that Texas has cold weather (though, I'll conceed blizzard conditions would be pushing it a bit), but we do, especially in the panhandle area. I've been outdoors in blistering cold conditions for various things dressed lighter in the legs than I described above (usually, just jeans), and have never had problems with my legs getting cold. Since we can only wear a shirt over, say, a UA cold gear top, yes, I can understand blizzard conditions being a ***** up top, and with the hands and feet as they are hard to keep wrapped up well, but I'm having a hard time with the legs.

Maybe I'm just different than everyone.
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I think the new uniforms look like something you'd expect to see a soccer ref wearing.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Oy Vey

Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 06:42am
goldcoastump

These things look like a freaking Futbol uniform. The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I saw them up close last night. They are silky and shiney and the only thing I could think of to say was "I hope your horse wins"
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely hideous.

(But I'd sure love to wear one one day)