The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

New NFL Unis

Was at dinner tonight and looked across to a bar TV and saw ESPN (I think) doing a preview of the new NFL officials unis. All I can say is: HAVE THEY LOST THEIR FREAKIN' MIND?

Aside from the fact that these things look totally stupid (think Chicago White Sox pajamas circa 1978), isn't the point of officiating not to draw undue attention to ourselves?

Its not like these guys buy everything they wear at Honigs. They get the shoes, shirts, and hats, at a minimum, issued. If they had concerns regarding heat or cold and the unis' inability to regulate for that, the NFL could commission rag manufacturers to remake what they already have with perhaps a few design changes. Think Officials' Choice shirts compared to the old doubleknit polyester.

When people see these things en masse, they are going to die laughing. If that's the form of entertainment the NFL is selling these days, no wonder fewer are watching.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
They are showing the new uniforms on NFL Total access this morning on the NFL network. It is a replay from last night.

BTW- set up your DVR's for the rest of the season. The Official's Review segment will air every Wednesday at 7 ET. Very informative.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

You can see the clip on nfl.com today. Strange-looking stripes. Number and position on the back, number on the sleeve. NFL logo on the pocket in the front and just below the collar in the back. The long-sleeve shirts have a mock turtleneck collar with a 1/4 zipper. Black pants with a white stripe down the side for cold weather (looks like a warm-up suit).

I honestly don't think they look THAT bad- I'm guessing once we get used to them the old ones will look old and dated.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 10:28am
Chain of Fools

New NFL uni's

I don't think they looked too bad. I especially like the black track looking pants. Pereira explained that they'll be able to layer beneath it easier. Reebok designed them.

If there is anything at the HS level we could adopt, that would be the easiest. Black warm-up style pants are fairly common and easy to find.

Apparently the LS shirts are wind and water proof and the SS shirts are the "new" fabric blends to be comfortable in hot weather. The raglan sleeves should also allow easier movement.

My only gripe is with the numeral area on the back. I think a black background wold look better with white numbers. Otherwise, they weren't as radical a departure as I read the speculation this past spring.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a link to where I can see them. I tried NFL.com but couln't find the article.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

On the NFL.com site click the link for "Director of Officiating" on the right hand side. I don't like the new shirts. They look like a tuxedo. It'll all take a while to get used to.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I just wonder if/when these modifications, especially the pants, will trickle down to the college and HS ranks.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7
I just wonder if/when these modifications, especially the pants, will trickle down to the college and HS ranks.

HOPEFULLY NEVER!!!!
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
HOPEFULLY NEVER!!!!
This from a guy who is still wearing stirrups.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Pereira said he wasn't looking for stylish.

No sh**, Mike.

I like the cold-weather uni, especially the collar. Not sure about the pants, I like the black, I just worry about Barry Bonds-like pajama folding at the bottom.

The number/position combo on the back is horrible. Just really poorly done and amateurish. And the number on the sleeve looks like it's a tribute to someone who died.

IMHO, they could have done the exact same thing with the new fabrics and stuff in the same style as before.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
This from a guy who is still wearing stirrups.

Just remember while you buy how many new pairs of socks every year at around $5 a piece, I'm still using the same stirrups I started officiating with and I got them from a vetran official for free.

All I have to buy are 99 cent socks and I go through about 5 pairs a year.

I'm happy with the stirrups because they mean more $$$ in my pocket
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

FYI, the show is archived at:

http://images.nfl.com/video/homepage/2005/0803-4.ram
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
Just remember while you buy how many new pairs of socks every year at around $5 a piece, I'm still using the same stirrups I started officiating with and I got them from a vetran official for free.

All I have to buy are 99 cent socks and I go through about 5 pairs a year.

I'm happy with the stirrups because they mean more $$$ in my pocket
Well I don't work that many games, 25-35 a year, but I buy one new pair of socks a year and pass the varsity pair from the previous season down to my subvarsity games. So I buy one pair of $7, current price on Honig's, socks a year while you buy 5 pair of 99 cent socks a year. So between all of that and the exchange rate you are at most $3 ahead of me. I'm all for saving money but I just don't like the look of stirrups that much. I have worked with a guy around here that does have an old pair and he uses the same arguement that you used and that is fine but I don't want to wear them.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html