The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 05:59pm
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
Kickoff Out of Bounds

On a kickoff, a member of the kicking team touches the ball BEFORE the ball rolls out of bounds at the receiving team's 12 yard line.

The ball was kicked from the receiving team's 30 yard line because of the enforcement of apparently two personal foul penalties.

Where should the ball be spotted, first and ten?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 10:05pm
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,281
R 12 yl
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 06:26pm
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 792
Kick out of bounds, 3 options.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 06:50pm
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Kick out of bounds, 3 options.
I don't officiate football. I was watching the sophomore game that preceded the varsity game that I was broadcasting.

Could someone explain a little more thoroughly?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
What he means by "Three Options" is that, if K (the kicking team) causes the ball to go out-of-bounds on a free kick (like a kickoff), then R (the receiving team) has three options. They can:
  • Have the ball 1st and 10 at the spot where the ball went out of bounds (in this case, R's 12 yard line)
  • Have the ball 1st and 10 at a spot 25 yards downfield from the free-kick line (the kick was from the 30, so in this case that would be R's 5 yard line); or
  • Enforce a 5-yard penalty from the previous spot and rekick (now from R's 35 yard line).
__________________
WIAA basketball & Football (Snohomish County, WA)
NWAACC Basketball (Northwest Comm. College)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 07:29pm
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
What he means by "Three Options" is that, if K (the kicking team) causes the ball to go out-of-bounds on a free kick (like a kickoff), then R (the receiving team) has three options. They can:
  • Have the ball 1st and 10 at the spot where the ball went out of bounds (in this case, R's 12 yard line)
  • Have the ball 1st and 10 at a spot 25 yards downfield from the free-kick line (the kick was from the 30, so in this case that would be R's 5 yard line); or
  • Enforce a 5-yard penalty from the previous spot and rekick (now from R's 35 yard line).
Just so. Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to explain.

Usually the choice is obvious: in this case, I'd give the coach his options and let him choose. Probably won't pick option 2, but he might go with either of the other options.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 09:05pm
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
Here's what happened...

The ball was spotted at the R 35 yard line, 1st and 10 for the receiving team. Misapplication?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 09:27pm
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Here's what happened...

The ball was spotted at the R 35 yard line, 1st and 10 for the receiving team. Misapplication?
Yes. They might have thought that was the option, rather than mtn335's correctly stated option 2. The R35 is 25 yards from the K free kick line prior to a penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Yes. They might have thought that was the option, rather than mtn335's correctly stated option 2. The R35 is 25 yards from the K free kick line prior to a penalty.
It's a common mistake to make, and not particularly surprising for a sub-JV game (where rookies patrol the sidelines and new white-hats earn their spurs). It's pretty easy to forget simply because, since a vast majority of free kicks occur at the K-40, the vast majority of free-kick-out-of-bounds fouls will have an option to place the ball at the R-35.

But yes, it was a misapplication.
__________________
WIAA basketball & Football (Snohomish County, WA)
NWAACC Basketball (Northwest Comm. College)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 06:58am
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
It's pretty easy to forget simply because, since a vast majority of free kicks occur at the K-40, the vast majority of free-kick-out-of-bounds fouls will have an option to place the ball at the R-35.
Another reason I encourage rookies to learn the rules, not the shortcuts.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 23,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Here's what happened...

The ball was spotted at the R 35 yard line, 1st and 10 for the receiving team. Misapplication?
Are you talking college or high school?

Peace
__________________
Charles Michael Mick Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you talking college or high school?

Peace
"I was watching the sophomore game that preceded the varsity game that I was broadcasting."
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 01:14pm
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,281
Sounds as if they applied the option available when the kick was normally made from the K40.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advantage to kickoff out of bounds, am i missing something here? bniu Football 2 Wed May 06, 2009 09:49am
Interception out-of-bounds tossed to another player in-bounds mrcrumley Football 22 Wed Oct 27, 2004 07:32am
kickoff dallas Football 1 Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:13am
Kickoff Green Football 16 Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50pm
kickoff yankeesfan Football 25 Wed Aug 04, 2004 08:46pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1