The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hygiene

I've, unfortunately, been on leave for a week from work so I've had plenty of time to think about a million and one things (boy have I been bored). It's been a great opportunity to study for the basketball season though. It's good that work hasn't got in the way of my officiating.com reading

Anyways, I was laying out all my equipment earlier and making sure I have extras of everything in my "gameday bag." Some of my whistles has had their better days to say the least. I started thinking about how many times I've probably dropped a spare whistle (while getting undressed after the game) and, subsequently, placed it in my mouth the next week. Do any of you disinfect your whistles regularly? I currently don't but I don't think it would be a bad idea.

I was thinking back to the high school band days when we used a "mouth piece cleaner" to disinfect a shared instrument's mouthpiece before playing. Might not be a bad this to pick up and use occasionally. I wash my hands like crazy after the game because I've been touching the sweat-coated basketball. However, I never think about how often I've touched the whistle with the same hands before I washed them...ewww..

Just wondering if anyone uses good whistle hygiene

-Josh
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I just soak two whistles in a paper cup full of mouthwash for about half an hour on game day, then just rinse them under cold water. I prefer cinnamon over mint, but either works. Not only does it clean them, they taste great.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've soaked mine in a vinegar/water solution overnight to get it squeaky clean (rinse it good after that though if you do that). My favorite though is to soak it overnight in mouthwash - gets it clean and tastes good all at the same time. I don't do it as often as I should though...... thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 07:31pm. Reason: Friggin Padgett is quick ain't he?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm shocked people actually do it. I thought about mouthwash earlier when I was writing the post.

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 07:56pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:04pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

I do the mouthwash soak with my whistles as well, ( learned that one during soccer season from an experienced ref).

Keeping a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the bag also helps with "degerming". You think a sweaty basketball's bad, try realizing that you just shook hands with a soccer keeper with his gloves on. ( they do all sorts of nasty stuff in those gloves). Now, it's strictly "fist bumps" a la Howie Mandel.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:11pm
We don't rent pigs

You really want it disinfected, soak it in bleach. You want to be sure and remember that rinse afterward part, though.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tastes Great, Less Filling ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You really want it disinfected, soak it in bleach. You want to be sure and remember that rinse afterward.
Even if it's flavored bleach? My personal favorite is cherry.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 15, 2008 at 08:26pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

You wouldn't eat with a fork, put it away without washing it and then use it again the next day, would you? Why would you use a whistle without cleaning it? I've done the mouthwash thing in the past and it works, but now I just scrub my whistle with hot water and dish detergent after every game and then keep it in a baggie. Works for me...been using the same clean whistle for 3 years now.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Idioms For Dummies, Or For Idiots ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
Been using the same clean whistle for 3 years now.
Thus the saying, "As clean as a whistle".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I just soak two whistles in a paper cup full of mouthwash for about half an hour on game day, then just rinse them under cold water. I prefer cinnamon over mint, but either works. Not only does it clean them, they taste great.
Ditto.....
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I hook mine in the dishwasher and run'em through with the dishes.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 08:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Would Somat Rinse Aid Help ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I hook mine in the dishwasher and run'em through with the dishes.
Do water spots show up on the black whistles?

Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

I shouldn't admit this, but if I'm doing 3-4 kids games, I like to munch on a granola bar for a pick me up..trouble is I have granola buildup in my whistle, little chunks wind up in the chambers..........yuk. I've boiled them before but they lose their shine.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I find that if I go more than about 1/2 a season without cleaning them, they start to fill up with goobers. Not that this grosses me out, but they stop sounding right.

I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide. You don't get that lovely cinnamon flavor, but they're reasonably sanitary. Afterward I rinse them in tap water. And if it's been a while, I'll blow through the "wrong" end just to blow out any goobers that may be lurking.

I once found half a Wendy's single with cheese in one that way.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mouthwash. Just soak, rinse, and blow!