Thread: Hygiene
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hygiene

I've, unfortunately, been on leave for a week from work so I've had plenty of time to think about a million and one things (boy have I been bored). It's been a great opportunity to study for the basketball season though. It's good that work hasn't got in the way of my officiating.com reading

Anyways, I was laying out all my equipment earlier and making sure I have extras of everything in my "gameday bag." Some of my whistles has had their better days to say the least. I started thinking about how many times I've probably dropped a spare whistle (while getting undressed after the game) and, subsequently, placed it in my mouth the next week. Do any of you disinfect your whistles regularly? I currently don't but I don't think it would be a bad idea.

I was thinking back to the high school band days when we used a "mouth piece cleaner" to disinfect a shared instrument's mouthpiece before playing. Might not be a bad this to pick up and use occasionally. I wash my hands like crazy after the game because I've been touching the sweat-coated basketball. However, I never think about how often I've touched the whistle with the same hands before I washed them...ewww..

Just wondering if anyone uses good whistle hygiene

-Josh