The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 10:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Yes, I am a member of IAABO. In fact I am member of several IAABO national committees. [/B][/QUOTE]Which ones, Mark? [/B][/QUOTE]

It is not my intent to be coy, but does it really matter which committees to which I belong.

Visualization and Education
Women's Coordinating
Membership Development
Rules Examination
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am a member of IAABO. In fact I am member of several IAABO national committees. [/B][/QUOTE]

Then can you explain to me how official's choice got the exclusive rights to IAABO products. It is more like IAABO official's ONLY choice. I have had poor service from them and would love to use a different provider-but they have a monopoly on IAABO products.

If they are going to have that exclusive contract can they at least be forced to sell the IAABO patch to members so we can use other providers and sew the IAABO patch on. Please don't just tell me to ask my board secretary to order them. I have asked and been told to order it myself from official's choice--but officials choice won't sell the patch alone to me.

Not only has their service been lousy-but they don't sell my size. I am 6 ft. 8in. 205 lbs. Tall but not XL and definitely not XXL. Other companies sell tall sizes but no choice does not.

Can you recommend who at IAABO I can email to get assistance on this?

[Edited by oc on Nov 12th, 2003 at 12:49 AM]
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 06:58am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

Yes, I am a member of IAABO. In fact I am member of several IAABO national committees.
[/QUOTE]

Then can you explain to me how official's choice got the exclusive rights to IAABO products. It is more like IAABO official's ONLY choice. I have had poor service from them and would love to use a different provider-but they have a monopoly on IAABO products.

If they are going to have that exclusive contract can they at least be forced to sell the IAABO patch to members so we can use other providers and sew the IAABO patch on. Please don't just tell me to ask my board secretary to order them. I have asked and been told to order it myself from official's choice--but officials choice won't sell the patch alone to me.

Not only has their service been lousy-but they don't sell my size. I am 6 ft. 8in. 205 lbs. Tall but not XL and definitely not XXL. Other companies sell tall sizes but no choice does not.

[Edited by oc on Nov 12th, 2003 at 12:49 AM] [/B][/QUOTE]

You are tall!
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RAC
Post Why IAABO

IAABO is the only way you can call a basketball game varsity to middle school in Maine. I think itÂ’s like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. ItÂ’s my understanding that in some states IAABO is being viewed as a bad thing because a number of officials who have been calling high school games for years couldnÂ’t and still canÂ’t pass the test. The IAABO test is set up to test the officials rule knowledge and how they apply it to the game. I know the NFHS test is setup to see if the official knows the rules word for word and doesnÂ’t care how well the official can apply them.

by the way:

Officials Choice gets the rights to sell IAABO stuff by giving the IAABO ten thousand dollars each year.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Their test seems to be, from the limited sample I've seen here, worded no better than the NFHS test.

Rich
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why IAABO

Quote:
Originally posted by RAC
IAABO is the only way you can call a basketball game varsity to middle school in Maine. I think itÂ’s like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. ItÂ’s my understanding that in some states IAABO is being viewed as a bad thing because a number of officials who have been calling high school games for years couldnÂ’t and still canÂ’t pass the test. The IAABO test is set up to test the officials rule knowledge and how they apply it to the game. I know the NFHS test is setup to see if the official knows the rules word for word and doesnÂ’t care how well the official can apply them.

If a test has 4 legs and you call its tail a leg, how many legs does it have?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb "Best Training Organization."

On Tuesday, the Secretary/Treasurer of our association recommended IAABO to all officials. He said it was the "best training organization around." Now that might be true, but there is not much they can do for most officials in my area. He also said that if you move to the East Coast, you had to be an IAABO member to get games or move up the ranks. But I do not have any attention on going over there, so it does me no good.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

oc
how many patches do you need email me i can help
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
On Tuesday, the Secretary/Treasurer of our association recommended IAABO to all officials. He said it was the "best training organization around." Now that might be true, but there is not much they can do for most officials in my area. He also said that if you move to the East Coast, you had to be an IAABO member to get games or move up the ranks. But I do not have any attention on going over there, so it does me no good.

Peace
Not true about the East Coast. I am in VA and the last time I checked, it was part of the East Coast but I do not have to be a member of IAABO to get games. Probably 1/2 of my association is not IAABO. We are somehow affiliated with or spun off from an IAABO board, but I think that had something to do with tax issues.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are several companies in Mass. that sell IAABO shirts and jackets. Try Reading Trophy & Shirt Co.,Inc.
660 Main Street
Reading, MA 01867
Phone: (781) 944-7171

At IAABO, contact Donnie Eppley at [email protected].
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
But I do not have any attention on going over there, so it does me no good.

Peace
I know what you mean. I haven't given any attention to going over there either
Old Sat Nov 15, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef
Quote:

There are several companies in Mass. that sell IAABO shirts and jackets. Try Reading Trophy & Shirt Co.,Inc.
660 Main Street
Reading, MA 01867
Phone: (781) 944-7171

At IAABO, contact Donnie Eppley at [email protected].
Thanks, I tried them. Nice enough guy but he gets everything from Paul at officialsnochoice-which still wont make my size or sell the patch separately. He recommended I contact them again and ask if nochoice will make a special order-which they already denied. This leaves me still up a creek. However it looks like PAULK1 can help me out.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Why IAABO

Quote:
Originally posted by RAC

Officials Choice gets the rights to sell IAABO stuff by giving the IAABO ten thousand dollars each year.
That's what I guessed. I have been curious of the details of the transaction. From what I've seen Paul isn't getting the contract for his commitment to service.

Is the $10,000 a rough guess or definite knowledge? For exclusive rights thats a good price.

I like IAABO and am proud to be a member. (I studied a ton to pass that test.) But this part has really been annoying. I guess I should email IAABO directly and get the scoop.

[Edited by oc on Nov 15th, 2003 at 09:58 AM]
Old Sat Nov 15, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Thanks, I tried them. Nice enough guy but he gets everything from Paul at officialsnochoice-which still wont make my size or sell the patch separately. He recommended I contact them again and ask if nochoice will make a special order-which they already denied. This leaves me still up a creek. However it looks like PAULK1 can help me out.
I'm also an "impossible to fit" tall guy. Honigs had a jacket in my size that I bought and I was planning to talk with officials choice about emboidering the IAABO logo on it. Your post suggests it won't work. Let me know if you have any luck at IAABO. Donnie is a good guy and should be able to help.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Choice

It's fact, they give the money to the IAABO Foundation.

Like you said it's a good deal for The Officials Choice.