The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I would like to get clarification from experienced referees on a situation that had the referees divided at a recent midle school tournament:

In the advantage position, the top wrestler locks his hands around one arm and the head of the bottom wrestler. This lock is ABOVE the shoulder of the bottom wrestler.

Is this locked hands?

I believe that it is not and that it becomes locked hands only when the lock falls below the shoulder. I would appreciate any clarification and comments.

Thanks,

Coach H
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

CoachH - Hard to 'see' what you are saying but...
It is locked hands when the arms are around the body or both legs of the defensive wrestler. The exception being the headlock. When the the head is inside the circle of the lock, there must be an arm or leg included in the circle. If it is an arm, the arm that is in the circle must be trapped between the shoulder and the elbow.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Woolnojg,

Thank you for replying. I might be able to better explain the situation. In the referee's starting position the top wrestler immediately locks his hand around the head and the near arm of the bottom wrestler. He is still behind and on top of the bottom wrestler. I agree with your statement that the exception to locked hands is the headlock, but I do not find a reference to this in the NFHS rule book. This may explain why some referees are not sure of the interpretation.

Thanks,

Coach H
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

If it is as you described with the lock above the shoulder and only the head and arm are contained, locking hands does not become an issue.
Woolnojg is correct in his assessment.
What is at issue may be an illegal headlock. . . . . different acts which both get the same result - stoppage of match and one point penalty assessed.
Stopage for illegal headlock is immediate - illegal hold. Stoppage for locked hands is delayed until it is clear the bottom man cannot gain an escape or reversal from his position in a reasonable amount of time.
I have seen this frequently with middle school wrestlers and have to watch it develop to see what we have that may be potentially dangerous or illegal.

Hope this helps to make the situation a little more clear for you.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Official Tony,

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Coach H
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coach H,
My apologies for the lack of NFHS Ruling Code.
NFHS rule 7-3-4 specifically covers hands " around the opponents body ( with or without arms included ) . . . " but makes no reference to the head and arm you described being either a technical violation or an illegal hold.
Neither does the Case Book.
NFHS Rule 7-1-5d covers the illegal headlock woolnojg and I alluded to.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Sheffield Lake, Ohio