The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a former wrestler, 7+ years, but have not wrestled in well over 10 years. I am currently going through the process of becoming a wrestling official.

I hear people talking about various moves/holds and read about them in the rules book and case manual, but I don't remember ANY of that stuff. The names sound familiar, but I can't distinguish one from another.

I'm worried because it sounds as if we will be thrown into the fire (albeit at middle school or JV level), rather than practicing officiating at our meetings. Am I making a mistake here?

FC
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Are you making a mistake about what?
If you mean how the meetings go, I don't know.
If you mean about learning to officiate, no way!
It takes about 3 years to really learn how to do it but the sport needs you. The kids can't wrestle if there is noone to keep them safe and within the rules. Focus on learning the illegal holds first, then work on figuring out if a hold is dangerous. You're looking for telltales, which way the pressure is going, where are the joints and how can they move, etc....
If everyone can leave the same way they got there, then you've had a good event. Everything else will come in time.
PS. Find someone to mentor you and help you get better.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
Are you making a mistake about what?
If you mean how the meetings go, I don't know.
If you mean about learning to officiate, no way!
Thanks for the response woolnojg. You seem to be one of the more active forum participants (on this and other boards). Anyway, yeah, I mean about learning to officiate.

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
It takes about 3 years to really learn how to do it but the sport needs you. The kids can't wrestle if there is noone to keep them safe and within the rules. Focus on learning the illegal holds first, then work on figuring out if a hold is dangerous. You're looking for telltales, which way the pressure is going, where are the joints and how can they move, etc....
If everyone can leave the same way they got there, then you've had a good event. Everything else will come in time.
PS. Find someone to mentor you and help you get better.
I hear you -- but I just keep envisioning some coach challenging me about some rule early on (like the first or second meet I work), before "everything else come[s] in time", and getting hammered for it. The reason that concerns me is because I don't want to be labelled as a "bad" official before I even get a chance to learn. But, we don't actually practice officiating in the meetings, so I don't see how you can know what you are doing right away.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

If you're at middle school or JV level, you may know as much as the coaches. If not, keep working at it. The big thing at those levels is to keep them safe. If you do that then the coach will not be able to complain, too much. Big thing is find that mentor. They will help you get better.