The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Rates?

What are the rates where you work HS? In Louisiana there is a huge dispute over officials pay and our brothers and sisters there only are paid $75 a crew for a varsity match in the regular season and $110 a crew for the playoffs.
Here it's:
Varsity R1-$67
Varsity R2-$57

JV R1-$48
JV R2-$43

Sub-Varsity Alone:$57
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan pay really varies by location. Here is the breakdown for the conference I work the most.

Frosh or JV/Varsity DH (all 3 JV sets, 3 of 5 Varsity) $75 per official (1 official for subvarsity, come together to work Varsity).

Another conference is JV/Varsity DH $75. Frosh do Varsity Lines for $55 total.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
What are the rates where you work HS? In Louisiana there is a huge dispute over officials pay and our brothers and sisters there only are paid $75 a crew for a varsity match in the regular season and $110 a crew for the playoffs.
Here it's:
Varsity R1-$67
Varsity R2-$57

JV R1-$48
JV R2-$43

Sub-Varsity Alone:$57
Why do they pay R1 and R2's different. They are both officials. Do they pay the plate umpire and base umpire in baseball or softball differently as well?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

We pay the base and plate umpires the same in baseball and softball ($75 in baseball $68 in softball). I don't know why the R1 and R2 are paid differently-I'd guess since the R1 is the lead official on the match we decided to pay them differently.We also in 1 league and at a couple of other sites cover lines for varsity at $35 a person.A vast majority of our home schools in playoffs ask for us to cover their lines at the same rate.Most of the time on those line assignments you're just there for varsity,last year once I did a freshman match and then varsity lines for a total of $102.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Pay Rates

In my area, we work double matches (JV/Varsity) for most schools and the rate varies by league. All support officials are provided by the host school and the R1/R2 get the following:

League 1: $87 per dual match, $64 for Varsity, $57 for JV
League 2: $93 per dual match, $67 for Varsity, $54 for JV
League 3: $107 per dual match, $72 for Varsity, $65 for JV
League 4: $90 per dual match, $57 for Varsity, $48 for JV

League 3 is the highest rate in the state, and other areas get much lower rates. State Championship matches pay $75 for R1/R2 and $40 for support officials.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

So on a dual match day you get just the listed dual rate but if it's one match it's the rate for that level-correct pavbref?
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Ironic that R2 pays less when, at the higher levels, they work harder than the R1.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree especially when that 15 yr old kid you've just barely shown how to keep score about 12 pts in says wait we have a wrong server
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, if you work a single varsity or JV match, you get the appropriate rate for that level
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 08:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

In Wisconsin, the officials typically work a JV followed by a varsity match.

If there are 2 subvarsity levels (not common in my conference), the officials typically split up and each work those levels alone, although some schools will hire officials just for the extra match and pay them something like $40.

Rates are anywhere from $80 to $95 depending on the conference.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Rich-
We call that the split triple here and a vast majority of our public schools use that format.For us that sub varsity alone is $57.

Here are the links to LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine's radio appearances on a Baton Rouge radio station

pt 1-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Eddie_Bonine_07_08_15-1436361130.mp3

pt 2-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Morning_Drive_07_09_15-1436450465.mp3 (go to the 51 minute mark to listen to Mr.Bonine's comments)

And from the LHSAA Officials Manual-Section 8.8.8 Volleyball Rates
as adopted by the LHSAA schools in all classes:
1.Regular Season Best 3 of 5 -$75.00 per officiating crew
2.Playoffs Best 3 of 5 -$110.00 per officiating crew
3.If only one official is used, the fee shall be 75% of the crew fees. In the event only one official is used the game shall count as played.
4.Fee is per officiating crew (not per official). Each local volleyball official’
s association shall determine the amount of pay each official shall receive based on their rating and/or scales the association has adopted.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Rich-
We call that the split triple here and a vast majority of our public schools use that format.For us that sub varsity alone is $57.

Here are the links to LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine's radio appearances on a Baton Rouge radio station

pt 1-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Eddie_Bonine_07_08_15-1436361130.mp3

pt 2-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Morning_Drive_07_09_15-1436450465.mp3 (go to the 51 minute mark to listen to Mr.Bonine's comments)

And from the LHSAA Officials Manual-Section 8.8.8 Volleyball Rates
as adopted by the LHSAA schools in all classes:
1.Regular Season Best 3 of 5 -$75.00 per officiating crew
2.Playoffs Best 3 of 5 -$110.00 per officiating crew
3.If only one official is used, the fee shall be 75% of the crew fees. In the event only one official is used the game shall count as played.
4.Fee is per officiating crew (not per official). Each local volleyball official’
s association shall determine the amount of pay each official shall receive based on their rating and/or scales the association has adopted.
$75 per crew? That's insane.

What's even more insane is paying one official on a crew more than another. Louisiana has this fascination with the registered / recognized / certified crap -- I have to say that when I moved there with considerable experience I was not amused to be paid less than someone I worked with.

And paying the white hat more in football is a laughable concept, too. If they did that where I lived, I'd have to buy the first round with that extra money every week.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Look at the Alabama manual Rich-they get $40 an official per varsity contest before travel.If you split that $75 right down the middle (and I doubt that happens,someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that's $37.50 a person in LA.In my area that's six matches till your dues are covered (non-basketball official) let alone anything else.Two raises in 25 years is just not acceptable.Could you imagine the uproar if teachers only got two raises in 25 years? Or the principals (who seem to be the root of the problem here)?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2015, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I usually work two matches per night (JV followed by varsity). Volleyball rates vary a great deal in my area. I make as little as $50 and as much as $72. Illinois, in its infinite wisdom, still does not require line judges for regular season varsity matches.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

We are similar to what SCalScoreKeeper described.
Frosh/ JV - R1 = $36, R2 = $32
Varsity R1= $54, R2= $47
Lines = $36
All Middle school games will be $46.50 each.

So middle school gets one official and does two matches usually 7th then 8th for $93

A match that is Jv / varsity only is $86 for P1(head) and $83 for P2. Head official will be R2 during jv and R1 during varsity and vice versa for his/her partner.

frosh/jv/varsity: P1(Head) will be R2 for frosh and jv and R1 for varsity;
P2 will be R1 for frosh and jv and R2 for varsity. So P1=$118 P2=$119 for the night.