The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 24, 2015, 01:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

It finally happened.

I made a call that actually changed the outcome of a match.

This was a girls' Middle School match with kids that are just learning and coaches that don't really know how to coach yet. Visiting team has won the first set in a best of 3, and are leading the 2nd set 24-17. Home team's setter takes a position a little too close to the net and brushes the net as she sets the ball. In a high school game, I call this net fault every time. But they were getting killed and I figured there's no way they're going to come back and win the set, so I passed on it.

Well, home team wins the point and the setter then serves out the set, winning 26-24. They then win the 3rd set and the match.

I guess in the long run, it doesn't mean a whole lot. But it really made me think that there actually are times when I can affect or alter the outcome. Something to take with me into my high school season in the fall.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I made a call that actually changed the outcome of a match.

This was a girls' Middle School match with kids that are just learning and coaches that don't really know how to coach yet. Visiting team has won the first set in a best of 3, and are leading the 2nd set 24-17. Home team's setter takes a position a little too close to the net and brushes the net as she sets the ball. In a high school game, I call this net fault every time. But they were getting killed and I figured there's no way they're going to come back and win the set, so I passed on it.

Well, home team wins the point and the setter then serves out the set, winning 26-24. They then win the 3rd set and the match.

I guess in the long run, it doesn't mean a whole lot. But it really made me think that there actually are times when I can affect or alter the outcome. Something to take with me into my high school season in the fall.
I had something similar happen a long time ago in a 14s club match. Team is down 24-9 and their setter mangles one. I'm like "eh, I'm not going to end the set on that, they'll lose anyway." And they win that rally. Then their server serves 16 straight points and they win the first set 26-24. And then proceed to lose the next two sets.

I could have saved at least 1/2 hour of aggravation had I just called the double that needed to be called. Lesson learned.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee