The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 05, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Roster

Team A has Libero listed as #5 on roster. #5 has on a Libero jersey. Coach is ask what is the Libero's number in her regular jersey like the rest of the team. Coach says she does not have one. Is it required for Libero to have a seperate jersey that matches the rest of the team. If so, what is the penalty for not having one and not being listed on the roster with a team top? NFHS Girls.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Team A has Libero listed as #5 on roster. #5 has on a Libero jersey. Coach is ask what is the Libero's number in her regular jersey like the rest of the team. Coach says she does not have one. Is it required for Libero to have a seperate jersey that matches the rest of the team. If so, what is the penalty for not having one and not being listed on the roster with a team top? NFHS Girls.
There is no rule requiring that players have two jerseys. You have a player in the top that matches her uniform number. That's all you need.

Don't look for trouble. #5, if not listed as a libero, will have to change into a regular jersey before she can play. If not, she'll either play as libero or not at all, but she's in the number that corresponds to her number on the roster. Nothing more to do.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Sun Oct 05, 2014 at 03:28pm.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2014, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I really feel that the wording about requiring rosters to show the libero number and the "regular" number came from a misguided understanding by NFHS of how liberos would be used. The rules-makers seemed to think that the teams would change liberos quite often during a match, almost with the thought that coaches would give everyone on the team a chance to be the libero. They really didn't comprehend that only one (sometimes two) players would play the libero position. So they figured that the team would need to list both the libero and regular uniform number since they would use three or four or five liberos every match.

I didn't even realize that the rule was still in the book. It's really outdated and ought to be removed.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2014, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Roster ought to be removed.
What a pain in the butt for no good purpose.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
Roster ought to be removed.
What a pain in the butt for no good purpose.

Yes! The worst is when my partner insists that it is REQUIRED that we review the entire roster to ensure that all players on the roster are on the floor for warmups. Sometimes, they get so agitated about this that they interrupt the coach to ask why a player listed on the roster is not warming up for the match. Who cares???

If I were a coach, I would list every single player from all teams on my program on my submitted roster. I know a few local officials that would have their mind blown by that!

Of course, the only thing that matters is that a player in a match is listed on the roster.

I agree with oldsetter that the roster is nearly useless.