The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

sub

can a coach withdraw a substitution request?
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rules

Yes, but if the request is withdrawn after it has been recognized by the official, the offending team should be charged with unnecessary delay. In my experience, most coaches will simply go ahead with the substitution in order to avoid the penalty for UD.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

can the coach then make the substit after the u.d?
Old Mon Sep 09, 2013, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Here's a question to go along with that question:

(A) If a team is charged with a time out for the necessary delay, does that mean they are forced to use the time, or a time out is removed from their total remaining count?

(B) If they are forced to use the time out, are they able to make a legal request for substitution once the time out is expires?

The reason I ask is in NCAA, a request for substitution is granted post-timeouts, so I was wondering if the same applies to NFHS.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio.King View Post
Here's a question to go along with that question:

(A) If a team is charged with a time out for the necessary delay, does that mean they are forced to use the time, or a time out is removed from their total remaining count?

(B) If they are forced to use the time out, are they able to make a legal request for substitution once the time out is expires?

The reason I ask is in NCAA, a request for substitution is granted post-timeouts, so I was wondering if the same applies to NFHS.
A) It's a timeout. The other team has every right to use the time if they choose to. You don't just remove the timeout as a penalty. The timeout can end early if both teams are ready to play, as with any timeout.

B) Not in NFHS. It'd be a second timeout request during the same dead ball. NCAAW specifically states that you can have a sub request after an intervening timeout; no such provision exists under NFHS rules.

Hope this helps.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Sep 09, 2013, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, similar to USAV; I figured as much. Thanks for that. It would be a lot easier if NFHS eliminated that and went with the improper request/DW system that everyone else uses...

*hint hint* NFHS...