The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Last Names

Earlier this week I had a coach submit a line up with only first names. I told the coach that he needed last names. Upon further review it says in the book, 'names'.

It does not require last names. Do any of you require last names, or will you allow a roster with 4 Jennifer's on it.

Seemed logical to me that first and last names were required, I guess it is a lesson to me about reading the whole rule and not just what I think I read.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Without last names...

...how would you make a report to a state association should a situation in the match warrant a report? If a player were to be disqualified, the last thing I would want to do is to ask a coach (or the disqualified player) the last name of the player AFTER such an event transpired.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbodb View Post
...how would you make a report to a state association should a situation in the match warrant a report? If a player were to be disqualified, the last thing I would want to do is to ask a coach (or the disqualified player) the last name of the player AFTER such an event transpired.
First names on a lineup is fine, heck, I'm just looking for the numbers anyway! The roster probably should be more detailed, but again last names are not required. If you run into a situation where you need a full name, contacting the AD is required anyway.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Rosters are useless. Without photo id, how do you know who is who? I know some states use rosters to track the number of games kids play, but really, get over it. How do you even know the right number is by the correct name? No rosters in college, and we seem to live.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

If a roster is incorrect...

....that is the coaches fault and s/he will have to answer for that when the state high school association receives a match report.

Whether the state hs association takes any action is up to them....

I agree with the idea that rosters are essentially useless given that the referee has no way of knowing if the players listed on the roster are actually the individuals playing but collecting a roster (a properly completed one) prior to the match helps the referee avoid unnecessary interactions after a game in cases of serious injury or disqualification.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

If a good R2 wanted to, he could use the rooster to help verify an exceptional sub is required instead of just a regular sub. Very rare ocurance, not likely to happen. And as stated, if it is required by your state to have full names on the roster, it should not be a ref duty to insure that. In our state, they go in the trash after the match or are taken back up by the coach if using a combined rooster/line-up sheet.