The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
My team is in pool play of a tournament (best of 3)Situation was one of my players went back to serve. The ref blew her whistle and began the 5 second count. My kid tosses the ball up and brings his arm back to serve but the ball slips out of his hand and goes about 2 feet to far in front of him. He catches the ball assuming that the ref will call a replay. The ref whistles a 5 second call. I argue my case about how a replay should be called but to no avail, side out for the other team. She did state however that she would keep that rule in mind.

In the next game. Same team we are playing against and same ref. A different kid goes back to serve for my team. Believe it or not, the same thing happens! I realize that its weird for it to happen in the same game, but things happen. He recovers the ball and re sets himself to serve. TWEET! Side out for the other team.

I take a time out and I talk to the ref. She told me that the kids are not making an earnest attempt to serve the ball, therefore a side out. At this point im kinda pissed and tell her that my kids arent out here to waste time. For her to say that my kids are not trying to serve, but rather waste time giving fake tosses to delay the game was too much. My team was heated and so was I but the game had to go on.

Was i incorrect to challenge this rule? What constitutes as an attempt to serve? Its not like my kid was just standing there bouncing the ball for 5 seconds or taking his sweet time. Both cases, the players attempted to toss the ball for a serve.

Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Judgement call, can't dispute it.

Her jusdgment was different than yours, tough luck. The only leg you would have is if she misinterpreted the rule by saying the ball had drop.