The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Now that the NFHS has decided to go more in line with USAV/NCAA rules, a discussion has begun among our local high school officials. Most areas of Pa. use a best 2 out of 3 format for their matches. The new guidelines call for a best 3 of 5. Many officials feel their officiating fees should increase since we will be officiating more games per match.

I was just wondering how states which used the experimental rules this past season addressed this issue. Did fees increase in states or regions which went to 3/5 from 2/3? If so, how much of an increase? Most officials I have discussed this issue with, think it should be about a 25% to 33% increase. I suspect that few AD's are even aware of the new rules and are going to be blindsided by a request for more money by officials.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

In Virginia, the AAA schools went 3/5 Varsity 2/3 JV. Whereas the AA and A schools went 2/3 for both. The pay differential between the smaller schools and AAA in our association was just 10 percent.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Oregon used the experimental rules last season - rally scoring - 3/5 varsity, 2/3 JV and Frosh - last season with no increase in pay beyond the nominal $0.50 a match COLA increase already built in. But, we're going through tough budget times in the local schools and when they're laying off teachers and have the kids out doing car washes and walk-athons and going door-to-door to solicit funds to keep high school sports operating, it's tough for the "old guys" to demand more money.

It is, after all, really about the kids. I'd do it for no more than reimbursement for my mileage and other costs if I had to, just to keep the kids playing.

It's really getting grim here. Spring sports were only saved in "a nick of time" by a variety of private fund raising drives and fall sports for the next school year remain in serious peril if some source of funding isn't located. The taxpayers have said rather loudly that they are completely uninterested in even contributing the cost of a Starbucks' double latte a week to continue to adequately fund the schools.

When they are laying off teachers and cutting five weeks out of the school year, it's tough to argue that officials "need" more money.

And, with that, I pick up my soap box and quietly attempt to blend in with the crowd.