The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 23, 2002, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
I am just curious on how they do ratings for officials in other states. I am in Utah. We have what is called an academy which covers all of USA, High school, and college. So your rating is the same for all of them

How are some of the other states?

Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I know that this is like an ancient thread but heres my 2 cents. Here in IL state wise their are three levels of certifacation registered, reconized, and certified being the highest level. To be promoted ratings are given by coaches and/or AD's one per member school, and the others from certified officials. Pretty much same for all sports. Cant speak for other codes though, but I know they don't carry over.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

clarification

Just to clarify, ref5678's reply refers to the rating system for high school officials, and is the same system that is used for all high school sports in Illinois, under the IHSA. I always found this to be a highly ineffective method of evaluating and rating officials, however, as severly understaffed as Illinois is, in terms of high school officials, I can understand that they are in no place to improve upon this system, at this time.

I have since moved out of the state of Illinois, but in no way due to the IHSA.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Yes that is true IL's rating system is terrible and only benifits those who are already at the highest level.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I found that even the coaches who liked you, remembered you, and/or were satisfied with your work, would often forget, or just not take the time to submit your evaluation to the IHSA. The only evaluation you could absolutely count on being submitted were the negative ones, if the coach was really steamed at you, and was the type to hold a grudge.

I was only able to be reviewed by a senior official, if I requested to be assigned with one for that express purpose, which, obviously, is not as effective as being reviewed by someone who can observe an entire game from a spectator's point of view.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink

A rating system? In South Dakota, there is no such thing. In fact, we used to only have two categories: 1) Registered 2) Certified. Those that were Registered had to try to become Certified within three years (by passing the closed book tests in an indvidual sport). Now the SDHSAA (in their infinite wisdom) has added a classification right between that for guys/gals that only want to work regular season games. That means that this classification doesn't have to attend a jamboree (where there is actually constructive criticism from senior officials for newer officials or officials that are fulfilling their once every three year obligation). At the state volleyball tournament this year, the official that had to sit out the state tournament evaluated two games for each official (By SDHSAA rules, they put in a new rule that a person can only work five state tournaments in a row before sitting one out).
So how do state tournament officials get chosen? By coaches' votes. Yes, there are some officials out there that refuse to give the coach a technical/red card because it might come back to haunt them when it comes down to choosing state officials. The SDHSAA is going to try something new this year in basketball - the coaches' will get a recommendation, then a nine-member panel will assign the state tourney officials based on recommendations. I don't know if it will be weighted - more recommendations, better chance of getting in. It is going to be interesting. So for those of you out there that are getting evaluated on a weekly/monthly basis, take advantage of it and take the constructive criticism for what it's worth - the chance to improve.