The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Illegal Alignment? (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/59298-illegal-alignment.html)

Proftd Thu Oct 07, 2010 03:36pm

Illegal Alignment?

Here's the question...... Team S, player CB is in the position of RB at the moment of contact on the serve. Illegal Alignment? I am prepared to site references in NFHS rules book and case study. I've gotten an answer from my state association. I'm just looking for another view. THANKS!

pavbref Thu Oct 07, 2010 06:16pm

Because Team S is serving, having the MB in the right back corner is legal. The server is allowed to serve from anywhere in the back, including in the far left corner. If this was not legal, then the server would be overlapped with both the MB and LB players.

MCBear Fri Oct 08, 2010 01:44am

proftd, do you mean that (1) she is on the court near the right sideline or (2) that she is serving instead of the right back? If (1), pavbref gave you the correct answer (see Rule 6-4-3 on page 26 of the current NFHS Rules Book). If (2), it is a wrong server, not illegal alignment.

Proftd Fri Oct 08, 2010 08:23am

MC, I'm referring to #1. This is exactly the rule I'm referring to. I can see including the server in the exemption. They are technically not included in the field of play until after the serve is complete, thus not overlapping anyone, right? One could say CB may interfere with the defense's view of the server. So freaking what? The same could be said about LB but they are not exempt. Now, on pg. 81 of the case manual, the diagram and list completely contradicts this rule. This case states..... "Proper alignment occurs when all players, EXCEPT THE SERVER, are in proper position within the teams playing area". Below in the diagram/list it states player CB "must be aligned with" CF,LB,RB. Now I can understand that somewhere there is some misinformation printed. But, what really puzzles me is what is the logic behind giving the exemption of alignment to CB?

For what it's worth, I ran into 2 veteran officials from my assn. last night and they told me "it's always been that way" and "what? there's a discrepancy in the rules/case books?" (enter chuckle here). So I said this will not be the only discrepancy that drives me nuts?

I've been a player for the last 18 years and officiated recreationally for 14 before coaches talked me into getting registered. I've been registered for 4yrs now. It's the player in me that wants to know why. As an official, I'm just going to nod my head and say ok.

MCBear Fri Oct 08, 2010 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by proftd
..."Proper alignment occurs when all players, EXCEPT THE SERVER, are in proper position within the teams playing area". Below in the diagram/list it states player CB "must be aligned with" CF,LB,RB. Now I can understand that somewhere there is some misinformation printed. But, what really puzzles me is what is the logic behind giving the exemption of alignment to CB?

There is no misinformation, You are reading too much to it. See 6-4-3b.
The exemption is given to CB during the serve because the RB is not on the court. Therefore CB cannot be in proper alignment with RB during the serve and is exempted.
The diagram list does not apply to RB & CB during the serve.

TimTaylor Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35pm

I also agree with what pavbref & Jan have told you. Since the server (RB) may not be on the court at the moment of contact for serve and may serve anywhere along the back line, she is not part of the equation.

Illegal alignment is not related to a specific place on the court, but to a players' postion relative to the players next to or in front/behind them. The only alignment issue you have to worry about for the CB player on the serving team would be her realtionship to the LB and CF players.

There's a really good explanation of alignment in the NFHS case book starting on page 21 - you might want to check it out.......

Proftd Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:28pm

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!! The light bulb just went on. Nobody's home but, the lights are on. Thanks to all! That reference in the case manual really helped there TT. I still had it in my head that a player had to stay in there little "box"(a reference from phys. ed. 20+yrs ago). Amazing what sticks in a person's head, huh? Again, thanks to all! I will finally sleep tonight. :D

MCBear Fri Oct 08, 2010 04:17pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z!!!!!