The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Has anybody tried using this?

I know I'm probably soliciting groans from Jan and Felix , but knowing I am too far away for them to kick me I thought I would share this. I worked a tournament with someone over the weekend who was using this app (at least I think it was this app) and I am thinking about giving it a try. I don't know how I would feel about using it during a varsity match, but for those times I'm working a middle school match I might enjoy using this.

Volleyball Referee for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Here's a demonstration of the app:

YouTube - Volleyball Referee - iPhone App Feature Walkthrough

Oh and by the way, I don't have an iPhone. I would actually be using an iTouch, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a phone call during the match!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:38am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Bob...you're wrong about getting groans from me on this one! It is really cool! I wonder how many of us might really decide to use it!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:07am
Lighten up, Francis.

I love it. It would sure help me track the back row! LOL. Of course, I'd have to go buy an iPhone first. . .
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Cool but how could you actually use it on the court?
Seems to me the R1 doesn't want to be entering every change. The R2 can use it in lieu of a line up card and to eliminate roster issues, but the R2 can just refer to the visual score for that aspect.
Do we need to know match history?

So...it's good to track player position - i.e. a lineup card.

Seems to me the screen set up could be a lot simpler it if were a line-up card replacement.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Right, a lot of those functions make more sense for a scorer than for a referee. Sounds like two separate apps might be better... I'll see what I can come up with.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 03:19pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Bob, I would love to see and try this app but unfortunately Verizon doesn't have an iPhone and I'm not going to switch to AT&T.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

I did try using this yesterday during a MS match. For the most part I liked it very much. I had a couple of problems that I believe were mostly operator error so I won't list them now unless I run across them again. I only used it as R2. I like the idea of it because I find that my writing is becoming worse and worse, and especially when I'm dealing with 3 or 4 subs and wanting to get them in the game as quickly as possible, I can't decipher my chicken scratch. I did have problems dealing quickly with multiple subs using this app also, but I hope to become more proficient with experience.

Yes, there is a lot of information. However, it isn't much more than I usually track while I'm doing a match anyway. I know most of you are always relying on your scorekeeper to keep things straight, but honestly I run across a lot of them who need the checks and balances that my card has provided. Just last week I had a freshman match where during a timeout I found the SK with the wrong score listed on the score sheet, and the wrong number of subs for one of the teams. Pretty much anything below a JV/Varsity match it's a crap shoot regarding the quality of the SK.

FWIW, the partner I had who used this was using it as R1 for a varsity tournament. He also had some PVC pipe that he had assembled as a stand to slide over the net post as a "podium" for his iPhone. I'm not sure how he attached the iPhone to the podium. During the one match we worked together (we were using two gyms and rotating partners for each of the 3 matches we worked) he was signaling to me (after I had already informed the coach of course) that we had reached 15 subs, so he was keeping track of subs up on the stand. I don't do that, but around here I am one of the few that doesn't keep a card as R1. The same two other officials last weekend that were marveling over his app were also marveling over me not keeping a card as R1.

I have a few more MS matches this season, and I will give an update as I use this more.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Bob, I would love to see and try this app but unfortunately Verizon doesn't have an iPhone and I'm not going to switch to AT&T.
Too bad you won't get a chance to take a look at it Jan. You could splurge for an iTouch if the mood hits you. That's actually what I am using as I had one before we switched to AT&T recently. This also supposedly works on an iPad, but that may be a little large to hold in your hand on the court!
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just downloaded it and will try it out tomorrow.
Accidentally downloaded iStat and WHOA what a mistake. After 2 hours I still couldn't make it work.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Tried the app last night. Have to say I really liked it. Very easy to keep track of everything. No more getting a pen out to record subs. Very intuitive. Very simple to handle subs, plus if there is ever a problem with the score, you have a complete record of who scored what points to compare with the official book. Only one problem. Holding Itouch in the hand makes it hard to mirror 4 hits. Very minor problem.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I've only had one other opportunity to use it, but did realize that any mistakes I encountered initially do seem to have been operator error. I really liked using it. Like Scott, I found that mirroring a four hit signal was tough, as was signaling zero timeouts. Maybe next time a quick drop into my pocket before using either of those signals might help. I did find tracking subs to be really easy. The only things I would put on my wish list would be to allow options to cap sets and to establish the length of the match, with the final set if needed to be set to 15 points. Perhaps it does this already for five set matches, but as all sub varsity in Indiana is best of three with caps, I would like to be able to establish that prior to the match.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just tried it on my new Ipad - works fine....
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm the developer

Hi Guys,

I'm Dan, the developer of Volleyball Referee.. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi and thanks for the feedback.

If you have feature suggestions or complaints or whatever feel free to let me know... Ref has already evolved quite a bit based on the comments I've received over the last few months.

Cheers.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Would like to add a couple of points. First, Dan has fixed a bug with a new release that I experienced in my 9/23 post that apparently was not operator error after all, if you can believe that. Secondly, I sent him an email yesterday with a question and he responded within minutes with the answer. Very nice customer service!

Thanks Dan!
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic devices

Apologies for resurrecting such an old topic but given that some of us may be looking at using this app for the upcoming HS season I wanted to throw this question out there.

In studying the rules in preparation for the upcoming season, I see that Rule 5, Sec 1, Art 2 states (in part):

..The use of replay, television monitoring, or any electronic equipment by the referees to make decisions related to the set is prohibited.

With this in mind, does this rule mean we CANNOT use our iPods or iPhones using this (or any other) app while we are working a match? After all, an iPod or iPhone is certainly an electronic device (which would suggest we cannot use these devices) but then I see the phrase to make decisions related to the set.

One could make the case this app is not used to make decisions anymore than my note card makes decisions. Has NFHS weighed in on uses such as this?

Thanks all.