The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy USAV rant

OK, so maybe I have too much time on my hands but I'm a little disappointed in USAV. I got my rulebook a couple weeks ago and took my test tonight. Got one question wrong. No biggie except that it is the same question that a friend of mine missed. The bad part is that the answer I gave was wrong but the answer he gave was right!

It seems like the more they try to make things clear, the more they muddy the water. The new rule is that, the actual request for substitution is the entry of the substitute into the sub zone. But they still keep in language about the coach or captain requesting substitution!

And what is with them changing 'sets' back to 'games' in parts of the rulebook and keeping them 'sets' in the rest of the rulebook?!

These are the exact ridiculous, unnecessary, nonsensical things that NFHS does! I can understand the Federation doing it because they have non-volleyball people running the show, but USAV has people in charge that should know what they are doing. I suppose I will hear their reasoning at the clinic in February and I'm sure they'll give what they think are convincing reasons for doing what they are doing

Maybe it's just holiday stress that's getting to me. Maybe if I go get a cold one from the fridge I'll feel better.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
The coach or captain may still make substitution requests for "unusual" situations. Examples, exceptional substitutions, substitutions for injury, and substitutions before the start of the match, may still be requested for and communicated by the coach.

This is the guidance that was given at the USAV Clinic in Tampa.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee