The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   IR or nothing? (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/48903-ir-nothing.html)

Scrapper1 Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:18pm

IR or nothing?

As always, NCAA-W rules.

This situation came up today while I was R2. Visiting team serves and home team loses the rally. So there is a rotation. There was some confusion on the home bench about whether someone was going into the game. The R1 waited a few seconds, then beckoned the serve. Right after the whistle for service, home coach yells, "Yes, sub" and a player steps into the substitution area.

1) At this point, do I have to blow the whistle (since the player came into the substitution area)?

2) Regardless of the answer to #1, I did blow the whistle. So this becomes an improper request, correct? Penalize with a yellow card, warning? And no sub is allowed?

To make it really strange, the "sub" was actually replacing the libero, who had just rotated to the front row. So when I denied the "substitution", they automatically had a position fault.

Did I totally screw the home team? Did they do it to themselves? Or some combo?

Now that I'm thinking about it, could they have taken a time-out and then replaced the libero?

FMadera Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:55pm

1. No, you don't have to blow the whistle. Wave it off, play the rally, and administer the IR at the first dead ball.

2. No, once you blow the whistle, it's a team delay warning. No sub allowed.

Since you have a team delay warning, you can fix what would have been an illegal libero replacement. So you should have allowed that, since you've already got a delay assessed. Let them complete the replacement, delay warning, play on with the home team still serving.

mbyron Tue Sep 16, 2008 06:42am

Same for FED?

FMadera Tue Sep 16, 2008 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Same for FED?

FED doesn't use the team delay system.

Ignore the request for FED. If it is a repeated incorrect procedure, issue a UD. If whistle is blown, UD for the late request, and the replacement can take place at that time.

Scrapper1 Tue Sep 16, 2008 07:56am

Ah, crap. :mad:

bob jenkins Tue Sep 16, 2008 08:02am

While we're on NCAA-W substitutions:

Team A makes two substitutions. Team B then is granted a time out. At the conclusion of the time out can Team A make additional substitutions? Can Team B make substitutions?

Thanks

FMadera Tue Sep 16, 2008 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
While we're on NCAA-W substitutions:

Team A makes two substitutions. Team B then is granted a time out. At the conclusion of the time out can Team A make additional substitutions? Can Team B make substitutions?

Thanks

Yes.

NCAA 11.2.3.2.6: A team is not allowed to request consecutive interruptions
for substitution until the game has resumed or a legal timeout has
been granted. During a timeout, either team may make any number
of substitution requests. Immediately after a timeout, an additional
substitution request may be made. All substitution requests made
immediately before, during or immediately after a timeout are
administered at the end of the timeout.