The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

How long did it take you to stop using the card/wheel?

I'm getting a decent handle on IA's and back row attacks these days and where my setters are (3rd yr. VB official), and I read in a lot of places that NCAA and USVA do not allow down guys to use cards/wheels etc. How long did it take you vets to stop using them?

I will be using them for a while longer I think, I'm not comfortable without them.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I was comfortable by year two, because of all the USAV and college matches I did, I didn't have a choice *but* to be comfortable with it. Learning to track rotations was easier for me by knowing what players play what positions, and knowing what order they were supposed to be in.

I realize, however, that the learning curve varies from person to person.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:51pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I was really slow about it. Although I started doing college (NCAA DIII and NAIA) in my sixth year of officiating, I still used the wheel for all my HS matches in both Ohio and Michigan. It wasn't until I moved out here to California after reffing for 10 years, that I weaned myself from my wheel at the end of my second girls' season (so that would be at the end of my 12th year) when a National Official (who is also the Supervisor of Officials for the PAC-10) told me during a Play-off match to get rid of the wheel because I was slowing his game tempo down. After that, I started not using it until I got comfortable with looking at the line-ups and memorizing who was on the court.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
I'm getting a decent handle on IA's and back row attacks these days and where my setters are (3rd yr. VB official), and I read in a lot of places that NCAA and USVA do not allow down guys to use cards/wheels etc. How long did it take you vets to stop using them?
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 01:33am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
rev, agreed it is a good tool, but if you aspire to move up in volleyball officiating or do any level higher than high school, you have to lose the card because it is not used anywhere except in high school rules.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
rev, agreed it is a good tool, but if you aspire to move up in volleyball officiating or do any level higher than high school, you have to lose the card because it is not used anywhere except in high school rules.
Agreed but this is where I want to be.... and also, when I worked with one who didn't use the card or wheel, he was constantly turning to the table and asking them about proper servers and proper order. So.....

On the other hand, it's not hard to put a system in your head to keep them straight. I had one team I saw a lot last year.. when I was up the rotation in my head was C, headband, red head, hustle ... I knew in my head where they went in rotation by their attire or temperament or how they played. Worked for me, anyway
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Not only that but in High School, are at least all the ones that use the NFS rules, the down official is required to keep a card.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:08pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Blueump, "Officials equipment shall include: ...b. For the umpire, a whistle, lineup "card", a pen/pencil, a set of yellow and red cards and a coin." - Rule 5-2-2b.

From the Case Book and Manual, page 65: "The lineup card is a tool to assist the umpire in carrying out his/her duties."

Yes, you have to have a card, but it doesn't say that you have to use it! And, out here, only those who are learning to officiate use the card. In this instance, it is a difference in philosophy of what is important - having your head in the lineup or having the lineup in your head. I would rather have the lineup in my head and my head in the game instead of focusing on paperwork that the scorekeeper and libero tracker are both keeping.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I actually worked a game where the up official (JV game) actually kept a card while on the stand.... and she said that it used to be common practice. Can anyone chime in on that one?
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Agreed but this is where I want to be.... and also, when I worked with one who didn't use the card or wheel, he was constantly turning to the table and asking them about proper servers and proper order.
And what's wrong with that? After all, even if you *do* keep a card, the scorekeeper is the only one who has the official record of who the proper server is. Umpires are no longer required to track serving order.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
And what's wrong with that? After all, even if you *do* keep a card, the scorekeeper is the only one who has the official record of who the proper server is. Umpires are no longer required to track serving order.

Every server? If the point is to have them in your head, I believe the point was missed!
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that person wouldn't have done that even WITH a card...
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I actually worked a game where the up official (JV game) actually kept a card while on the stand.... and she said that it used to be common practice. Can anyone chime in on that one?
If I'm the only official for the match (no umpire - can happen up to JV level), I keep a card on the stand for something to refer to if needed. Given the competency problems we often encounter with scorekeepers in the lower level matches, it can come in real handy at times.

When working as the U, I do keep a card as required, but find myself rarely looking at it. As Jan said, it's a tool - something to be used when needed, but not something you should focus on to the detriment of your other duties.

I'm just starting my fifth season doing volleyball, and I think the breakthrough for me came somewhere during the middle of my third year. Oddly enough, I think it was a byproduct of getting more R1 assignments & the focused effort I was (and still am) putting into recognizing backrow players & situations.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 04:58pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Toolman, ditto! When I am the only referee for a match (usually a frosh match down here in the Shakyside), I will take lineup card to the stand so that I can check lineups prior to the start of the match. After I check the teams and allow the libero to enter (if being used), I stick it in my pocket until the end of the game when I get another one from my scorekeeper giving me the lineups for the second game.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

The difference, however, was in this instance she said to me that her state used to require both the up and down officials to have and use cards. I had never heard of that before.