The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Scrappy!

So Scrappy, what did you learn in class in week 3? This has been a fun process. RR
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 04:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

It starts in about an hour. I'll let you know in the morning.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 05:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

We went back on the floor to ref, but the games (just summer camp games) were a bit more athletic. I didn't work the R1 at all last night. Worked a lot on positioning as the R2. Worked on seeing the play at the net and seeing through the net. Talked a lot about overlaps and proper player positions; but it was hard to officiate it because the kids were just in t-shirts, no numbers or anything. Tried to keep track of back-row players, but I couldn't do it.

Our test is next week. I just got my rulebook last night, so I'll be reading. They don't actually grade the test for pass or fail. For first year officials like me, they simply want you to take it as a learning tool. I'll be a "probationary" member, whatever that means, for the first year. Then next year, I'll have to pass the test in order to work high school games.

It was nice to see some rallies and get a little flow to see how the game moves.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
We went back on the floor to ref, but the games (just summer camp games) were a bit more athletic. I didn't work the R1 at all last night. Worked a lot on positioning as the R2. It was nice to see some rallies and get a little flow to see how the game moves.

Scrappy,
Wait until your up on the stand (R1) and a girl about 6'1" or 6'2" who can seriously leap comes up way over the net on a perfect set and absolutely knocks the "pee-waddlin'" out of the ball on a kill right under your stand. It's a tremendous sight to behold. And you're on the floor or the stand when you have those long, long rallies with lots of great digs and saves that seem to last forever....you're going to like this game!