The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Rules changes for next year

Libero serving among changes for next year.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:06am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
2007-08 NFHS Rules Changes

The specific rules changes can be viewed here: 2007-08 Volleyball Rules Changes.

As is currently being discussed on another board, most of the changes are very good and there are only a couple of them that are even slightly questionable. On the whole, the volleyball rules committee did a very good job this year.

NOW, if we can just get the misprints and errors corrected that never seem to get changed in the Case Book/Manual as well as the rules book.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Two or three years ago I went to a rules meeting. We took the first 20 + minutes just correcting the mistakes in the book. It's been better since then, but that was ridiculous!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:04am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
rev, you didn't spend the time going over both the rules book and Case Book/Manual that Rick, Ken, Felix, Ed & I did. There were more screw-ups and errors last year than in the previous two years combined because NF corrected the errors two years ago, but neglected to change the incorrect text that was printed in the book! As a result, the same errors were published last year with new ones thrown in from the rules that changed.

We have volunteered to proof their text, but no one wants to take us up on it. Oh, well, c'est la vie.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Been doing the libero serving here in Michigan this season without any problems. It basically means the libero can be in the floor all the time - except for 1/2 a rotation when they need to sit out.

The hardest part to get used to is when the libero heads from the RB to the LB to serve. The two players that exchange in the libero zone are neither liberos! If makes you cringe the first time you see it, but you get used to it quickly. You also need an assistant score-keeper (libero tracker) that knows what they are doing.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Official's Mechanics Signal #17-Point: The mechanics and point signal are changed to indicate point and team to have next serve to extending the arm in the direction of the team that will serve, palm perpendicular to the floor. (Whistle, signal violation, point)

Rationale: With rally scoring there is no longer a need to signal point. Each end of rally results in a point for the team being awarded the next serve. The revised signal will indicate the team to serve next which is also the team to receive the point.

This is interesting...if I read it correctly there is no need to signal a point. You simple make the call (example: down ball) and then extend the arm to the side that will serve.

This may get sticky since the new rule for the timing of the coach sitting down is at the extention of the arm. You must extend the arm to the serving side, put the arm back down, then extend the arm again to prepare for the serve. Anybody else doing this yet?

I also saw a Division 1 game on TV this year where the official would show the point first, then the signal of how the point was given followed. That seemed quite different as well.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Been doing the libero serving here in Michigan this season without any problems. It basically means the libero can be in the floor all the time - except for 1/2 a rotation when they need to sit out.

The hardest part to get used to is when the libero heads from the RB to the LB to serve. The two players that exchange in the libero zone are neither liberos! If makes you cringe the first time you see it, but you get used to it quickly. You also need an assistant score-keeper (libero tracker) that knows what they are doing.
We were also one of the experimental states last year, and it was really no big deal. As blueump said, the tracker really needs to pay attention. I found that if as the U I took the time to explain it to them before the match, then the first time it happened turned to the table and said "did you get that" it really helped.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
The hardest part to get used to is when the libero heads from the RB to the LB to serve.
I hope you meant LB to RB.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't done VB since the early '90s and only did it for a couple of years, but I read with some interest the rules changes. The uniform deal struck me. We (in Texas) wore shorts at least during regular season but I'm seeing pictures of officials wearing pants. But this is from different officiating chapters who may have different rules.

If I read the rule change right, it seems to give the blessing to shorts. I don't understand the problem: soccer folks wear shorts outside in freezing weather. Unlike hoops, there really isn't any need for support items under the pants, so why the lack of tolerance in some cases for shorts? In my opinion, a good pair of shorts with the white shirt looks just as professional as pants. We aren't talking about work here, but a sport!

Thoughts?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:53am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Aggie, individual states have had the option to allow shorts to be worn in extremely hot, humid weather (or, in the case of California - when the temperature exceeds 100 degrees in the desert according to CIF guidelines).

The main concern with the shorts involved female officials who tended to wear shorts with very little inseam (at least that was what was always mentioned during rules interpretation meetings in Ohio when I lived there).
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me that's easily fixed by mandating for both men and women shorts that go to the knee. Schools (uniforms) have been doing that for years.

If I remember correctly, we wore shorts, then when I was given a playoff assignment, I was told to wear pants. Good thing I did hoops as I had a pair. Of course, we wore the stripped shirts for no good reason. I'm glad they've got yall in the white shirts. It looks better and I know its much more comfortable.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

If California can wear their shorts can't we in Michigan wear our snowmobile suits? Some of these school gyms have computerized heating systems that turn all the heat off at 3:00 p.m. each day! By the time we start the match (3 hours later) the temp has dropped 30 degrees!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:06pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

blue, that would require that Gina & MHSAA to issue a directive allowing you to wear the appropriate snowmobile suit! I understand what you are saying since I refereed in Southeast Lower Michigan as well as Northern Ohio until I moved out here to the left coast in 1993.

Seriously though, the only time that our CIF officials are allowed to wear shorts is when the temperature is over 100 degrees and only in the schools located in the desert communities where it occurs. For those of us in the majority of the state, we never are allowed to legally wear shorts during HS matches.

Best suggestion I can give you is what I learned to do in San Francisco - layer the clothing so that when it is cold you are comfortable and when (if) it warms up, you can remove a layer or two (or three or as required) to remain comfortable.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

We've ended up wearing our black MHSAA jackets over our white shirts through many matches. I know it's not proper procedure according to the NFS, but then again, it's not their frostbite! According to the Constitution, if I have the right to "bare arms" I should have the right to cover them!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 06:49pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

What you could also do is to wear either a white sweatshirt or sweater with the "Certified Volleyball Official" logo or a white, lined jacket with the logo. That is what we do out here when things are a little cold. We have had officials wearing gloves and stocking caps when they have to referee club ball at Hanger 12 in Alameda or the Mare Island Sports Complex. Temperatures in those venues tend to run between 40-50 degrees when the sun is not shining and when the wind is whipping across San Francisco Bay.

Good luck the rest of your season.