The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Hello everyone!

I am a seasoned Basketball Official who has "heeded the call" to fill the big void of VB Officials. I have not observed an "organized" VB Game in years. I am willing to put forth the effort to learn the nuances of Volleyball officitating. I have in my possession the NFHS Rules and Casebook. However, I would like input from the experienced officials.

I am looking for any information that would be helpful with game management strategies, understanding the flow the game, etc...

Thanks!
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

The biggest thing you will need to learn is when and were to call an illegal hit. It is the block/charge of volleyball. No matter what you do it is wrong. However, remember this axiom JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS BAD, DOES NOT MAKE IT WRONG.

There are tons of awful looking hits, that are legal. You are going to be dealing with players who use these rules (fed) for only 6 weeks a year. Hitting rules at the USVB level are much more liberal than the fed wants. Use some common sense

Past that everything else is pie. Coaches are MUCH more calm and normal than hoops coaches, but there is a catch (didn't think we would let you al the way off the hook), they are much more knowledgeable on the rules. Most coaches are officials as well, so solid rules knowledge is a must.

Absolutely inspect everyone for jewelry before the game.

Trust your line judges, let them make the call, and don't over rule it unless you know for sure they are wrong. It is amazing how much optical illusion occurs in the game. Try and make sure the LJ are adults. Nothing worsrethan a in school LJ chatting with the guy in the first row or picking daisies when a ball drops right in front of them.

When you flip, catch the coin, do not "flip" it back on your wrist. A coach might run you out of the gym.

And lastly, in VB we get a DO OVER!!! When in doubt, replay.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

C'mon Brian, that's too easy!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Easy???

Just wait for that first spike/block where the ball flys into your face and you have to fish your whistle from your throat.

I guess I had better add - Always use a laynard or smitty.

But I am serious, it is a lot less stressful than Basketball.