The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Substitutions (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/22434-substitutions.html)

chaze44 Mon Oct 03, 2005 05:51pm

would this be a legal substitution, 10 starts, 5 subs in to serve, 8 subs in to play back row, and 10 comes back in to play front row
Thanks

FMadera Mon Oct 03, 2005 09:36pm

Perfectly legal.

chaze44 Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by chaze44
would this be a legal substitution, 10 starts, 5 subs in to serve, 8 subs in to play back row, and 10 comes back in to play front row
Thanks

I had an official tell me that I could not do that and she would not allow the substitution

FMadera Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28am

Next time ask her why, and when she tells you, use your protest procedure (11-3-1) based on casebook example 10-3-1-B.

MCBear Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:54am

chaze44, as Felix stated, the substitutions as you described them are pefectly legal.

I am going to bet that the official who would not allow the sub wanted you to put 5 back in, didn't she?

This is a common mistake that is made by inexperienced officials who do not realize that if there are 3 or more players subbing into the same position, any one of them can go in for the player on the court and it does not have to be the player who was replaced by the current sub who is on the court. As long as a player subs in and out of any one position during the game, they are fine and the substitution is legal.

As Felix suggested, show them or ask them to look at Case Book 10.3.1 Situation B:

"Team A makes the following substitutions: 11 for 13, and then 9 for 11, then 12 for 9 and then 13 for 12. RULING: Legal. COMMENT: These players may enter the game an unlimited amount of time as long as the entry is in the original position and the total number of substitutes does not exceed 18. Any number of players may enter into a position. However, none of these players may enter into a different position in the rotation order for that game."

Chess Ref Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:13am

Subbing

So based on the comment, subs are locked into positions rather than players.
While the Liberio is locked into a player rather than a position ....

FMadera Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:25am

Chaze,

The libero is locked into one of three positions (back row). She is only locked in to one player in that she must come off for the same person she came on for, but otherwise, she is not restricted to a position except for back row.

OmniSpiker Tue Jan 16, 2007 04:11pm

Ah, I want to confirm that subbing for a server is perfectly legal with USAV 2006-07 rules while having serve possession. Plus what is the take on NHFS and NCAA rules.

Team A has server player 1 makes serve and earns an Ace. Team A coach calls for substition of server. The substitution is allowed. Player 1 is subbed out for player 7, who then continues to serve for the next rally. Player 7 makes serve, and Team A wins another point.

Now I can't find any ruling that says this can't be done. A coach who was reffing was going to penalyze the team that had just done that, but the opposing coach mention that to me and I said the current USAV rules doesn't say you can't do that. I read it legal to substitute a server in the middle of the team's serve possession.

MCBear Tue Jan 16, 2007 06:36pm

It's perfectly legal in all codes....

The coach who was reffing was totally incorrect. Any legal substitute may enter the game for anyone else at any time as long as the substitution occurs during a dead ball (exception: not allowed during a reserve in college women, USAV 14 & Under and NFHS).

Have the reffing coach read USAV 15.6 or NFHS Rule 10, sections 1, 2 and 3.

OmniSpiker Wed Jan 17, 2007 02:33pm

Thanks Jan,

I will be more assertive if next time this should happen.

refnrev Thu Jan 18, 2007 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaze44
I had an official tell me that I could not do that and she would not allow the substitution

Did she say what her rationale for not allowing it was?:confused: