The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a 3 sport official, Soccer, B'ball, and V'ball. I am a die hard FOX 40 CMG fan for S and B. For volleyball I was thinking of trying the Fox 40 Mini CMG. I've been told by all of my colleagues they aren't loud enough for b'ball and I know that would not be for soccer. Any of you use them for volleyball? Are they loud enough? What has your experience been?
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:54pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
refnrev, I prefer the Fox 40 Pearl, the Extreme, and the Molten WH whistle. In my experience, the mini is too small to be able to be effective for the sport of volleyball.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That was what I was wondering ...I know in a crowded gym or on a field they would be inadequete. The company swears that they are just as loud, but I don't see how they could be! And in reveiewing the contents of my three sport bags tonight I see that I have 3 Fox40 CMGS, 3 or 4 Fox40 Classics, and an Acme Tornado. I probably don't need anymore whistles anyway.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 12:17am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
refnrev, if and when you find yourself working a multi-court tournament, you are going to want to have either a Fox 40 Pearl or the Molten WH so that your whistle can be heard amongst all the other whistles and noise that is going on at the same time throughout the facility.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

MCB,
Thanks for the heads up.
RR
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I've a Fox 40 Pearl and a Mini-40 and use them pretty much interchangeably with no problems. The mini is a bit less loud and a bit higher in pitch but I've never observed that the kids have any difficulty in hearing the mini. It seems plenty loud enough.

OTOH, don't go with one with a pea like I did my first year. It was loud enough but I ended up having to wipe off my glasses between every game 'cause I was blowing my spit all over my glasses. If you don't wear glasses or are not a "drooler" like I am, maybe no problem but it gave me no end of grief.

And, it's always a good idea to have an extra whistle - just in case.

-Homer-

Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I have several different kinds of whistles, mainly so I have one that sounds distinctly different from others around my court, so my players don't stop play until they are supposed to. I have an Acme Tornado, a Fox 40/Mini/Pearl, and the Mikasa clear whistle. The Tornado is not nearly loud enough for my liking, but the Foxes and the Mikasa all perform to my liking.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I can't stand my tornado, but it's in my soccer bag. they were the rage in soccer for about one season. Have you had good luck with the Fox40 Minis? Some people on this sight have said they had not? A new regular CMG feels like having a 2x4 in your mouth until it gets broken in some. Also, where would one find a Mikasa? I've never seen one of them before.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
agree. I can't stand my tornado, but it's in my soccer bag. they were the rage in soccer for about one season.
Yeah, I thought it would be cool, but now I think they suck. Oh well...live and learn.

Quote:
Have you had good luck with the Fox40 Minis? Some people on this sight have said they had not?
I have NEVER had a problem with my Fox Mini. To be honest, I prefer the Mini to the regular Fox 40s, easier to give a sharp, quick, tweet.

Quote:
Also, where would one find a Mikasa? I've never seen one of them before
They are usually given away at some of the larger tournaments I work in Chicago, but you can find them at http://www.thevolleyballmarket.com/i...ROD&ProdID=358
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate both basketball and volleyball, and use both the Fox Classic 40-CMG and Mini-CMG. Both seem to work just fine & I have never had a problem being heard with either, but I've been told that my whistle definitely is on the loud side....

The Classic is noticeably louder, and for basketball in a loud, crowded gym it's what I prefer, but aside from those situations I mostly use the Mini - probably 75% of the time. The Mini is more comfortable for me, and my whistle of choice for volleyball.