The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Our bench players allowed to stand during the game?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 01:00pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
pkd, refer to Rule 9.1.1: "All nonplaying team members, including coaches and other team personnel, shall be seated on the designated team bench during the game."

and, also, to

Rule 12.2.6: "Non-playing team members shall remain seated on the team bench during a game except to:
a. Spontaneously react to an outstanding play by members of their own team;
b. Go to a nonplayable area to warm up without balls prior to entry into the game as a substitute;
c. Stand at the bench to greet a replaced player(s), then immediately sit down."

Hope that is a help.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Assuming you mean NFHS rules, see Jan's reply.

Other rulesets, yes, they may stand, but if they do, it must be at the end of the bench area (i.e. NOT in front of chairs/bench).
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

Just wondered what you think. I had a conversation with a HS head v'ball coach three days ago, after I had "T'd" up a basktball head coach the night before. That results in the loss of the coaching box and the coach must remained seated except to call TO, during TO's,injuries, etc. We talked about how V'ball coaches were supposed to stay seated during a game, but many kneel, stand, and some pace. This coach is a pacer and and no one had ever said anything to her -- even in playoffs. I personally have never had this during a game. The coaches have always stayed seated. But I've seen it overlooked while a being a spectator. What is your experience? And, what would you think if the NFHS were ever to add a coaching box like in basketball.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Are there any other sports in high school where the rules require the coach to remain seated during competition? Sorry I am not up on many rules of sports other than volleyball. It seems there are rules that get applied to vb but not other sports, I mean besides the obvious game play rules. Another one: in other HS sports are coaches allowed to question a ref's call without losing a time out? Refs are not so infoulable (sp) that they don't make mistakes and it seems in HS VB that a coach can't even question a rule interpetation without being threatened with a card or have to protest it and lose a timeout.

I don't ref HS but am around quite a bit of HS VB. It may be that there is just a poor pool of refs around here but many don't even know the rules of the game, don't know how to ref VB or have been doing it the same for years and years and refuse to officiate using the new rules of the game. They have no exposure to the game except going and doing their match and going home. There just seems to be some antiquated rules and styles in VB that keep sticking around no matter the changes in the game.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, one thing lead to another.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vb Scrub
Are there any other sports in high school where the rules require the coach to remain seated during competition? Sorry I am not up on many rules of sports other than volleyball. It seems there are rules that get applied to vb but not other sports, I mean besides the obvious game play rules. Another one: in other HS sports are coaches allowed to question a ref's call without losing a time out? Refs are not so infoulable (sp) that they don't make mistakes and it seems in HS VB that a coach can't even question a rule interpetation without being threatened with a card or have to protest it and lose a timeout.

I don't ref HS but am around quite a bit of HS VB. It may be that there is just a poor pool of refs around here but many don't even know the rules of the game, don't know how to ref VB or have been doing it the same for years and years and refuse to officiate using the new rules of the game. They have no exposure to the game except going and doing their match and going home. There just seems to be some antiquated rules and styles in VB that keep sticking around no matter the changes in the game.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, one thing lead to another.
Volleyball is somewhat unique (tennis is also) in that the teams of players are separated by a net and do not intermingle on the court/field as with other sports.

I officiate both basketball and volleyball at the high school level, so my comments are relative to NFHS rules.

1. In neither sport may a coach question an official's ruling on a judgement call.

2. In both sports, a coach may request a timeout to address either a correctable error as specifically defined, or incorrect/misapplication of a rule. If coach is correct, timeout is not charged, if not, it is charged.

3. In basketball, coaches must remain seated at bench with similar exceptions as in volleyball. If the state association has adopted the use of the coaching box, which is allowed in basketball, then the head coach may stand within that box to coach during the game. A technical foul charged to the head coach, either direct or indirect, results in loss of the use of the coaching box and they must then remain seated on the bench.

4. Basketball does not use the card system for penalties, but the results are roughly equivalent:
YC in VB = verbal warning in BB
RC in VB (point/LR) = 1st Technical foul in BB (free throws)
YRC in VB(point/LR, DQ = 2nd tech in BB (free throws, DQ)

In addition, both sports allow the official to go directly to penalty or ejection if warranted by the nature of the conduct.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:54pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Toolman, excellent post! You have done a great job of comparing the two sports.

vbscrub, the one major difference between volleyball and almost any other sport is that volleyball judges the legality or illegality of every contact with the ball. Unlike most other sports, there is a lot of leeway as to what is judged to be legal, what is considered marginal, and what is considered to be illegal. Since each contact is judgment, it causes greater opportunities for disagreement between coaches and officials on ball-handling calls.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, I know that there is so much judgement involved in volleyball. I do ref so I understand that part of it. I have seen many occassions where there has been a mis-application of the rules, mis-interpetation of the rules or something completely out of the blue. In college or club ball the coach or captain can ask for clarification or reasoning. High School does not allow for this. I am not talking about judgement calls really, more of situations where no one has any idea what is going on except the ref who made the call or decision. It's almost like the coach and players have to sit there through whatever happens in a match without any way to get clarification.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
VBS:

Neither college nor club allows discussion on judgement calls. That was a major point of emphasis in our collegiate rules meetings last fall; do not allow coaches to delay the match to discuss a judgement call.

However, club and college (as well as HS) will allow a coach or captain to ask an official for clarification on a call, or to repeat a call. It's up to the official to keep the conversation to a minimum if it's a judgement call ("In my judgement, it was clean. Let's play.")
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee