The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I need some help. I understand the rule but still have some trouble seeing overlapping. Any tips that make it easier for you to see?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 12:07am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
My suggestion is that you track the setter because that is the one player who will tend to be doing most of the overlapping. In addition, track the player opposite the setter. Then, know who leads and follows the setter. After that, it is only a matter of experience so that you know which position the setter is coming from and if they are tending to "cheat" by being out of position with the person leading or behind them, or the person directly in front of them.

The only thing that I can tell you is to constantly be studying offensive and defensive alignments so that you get used to seeing them. As you gain experience, the overlaps will be easier to see.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

I can't add much to Jan's suggestions.

However, if you've not done so, read and study the materials in the casebook starting on page 77. It's a pretty good summary of the most common alignments you're likely to see and what you've got to be watching for with those alignments.

Once you recognize what offensive alignments the teams are running, you can concentrate on the most likely overlap situations which can occur with those alignments.

Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
One thing that helps me (without a lineup card).

Know where the middle next to the setter is...before or after. Then, if you know the pattern, either left, right, middle (with the setter being a right), or (usually) right, left, middle, if you know the pattern and what position each player is playing, it's easier to figure out who's legal.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 01:14pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Thanks, Homer and Felix for jarring my memory. I was thinking about how I track lineups and I always find out the position of two players on each team - the setter and the captain. If they are one and the same, so much the better...then I memorize who is in position 1 and what position the setter is in. Then, again, if the setter is the captain and in position 1, I have all the information that I need because I can track which rotation the team is in throughout the set and I know where the setter is in each rotation.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 08:06pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

I was refereeing the Boys' Far Western National Qualifier this past weekend and had several instances where I called overlaps.

In one situation, the captain of the serving team asked me to watch the setter on the receiving team because he was "leaving" early. In that instance, I responded that since I was watching the serving team, I could not see if the setter was leaving early or not. However...in Set 2 (have to be sure that I am using the new terms properly!!! ), The receiving team was on my left and the setter was in LF. After I whistled and beckoned for the serve, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the setter take off for the middle of the court. After the ball was contacted, I blew my whistle and signalled the overlap on the receiving team's setter since he was only 8 feet out of position!

Then, in another situation, the team's setter #8 was in serving position 2 and the player leading him was either #4 or #9 (they used both players in different games). They are receiving the serve in Rotation Order 4 (meaning that #9 is LF and #8, the setter, is LB). As I check the positions of the receiving team prior to turning my head to whistle and beckon the serving team to serve the ball, I notice that the receiving team's setter is apparently in the front row. In looking, he has overlapped his teammate by a good 10 feet. I whistled for serve and as the ball was contacted, I called the overlap (since it was really obvious that the setter and LF were in the wrong positions).

Both of the above were teams in the 18 Silver Playoffs.

Then, in the 16's division, a team was running a stack left where all of the front row players were pulled over to the left side of the court and the back row was located sideline to sideline in correct order. They had subbed #7 in to serve for #15 and the libero was in the CB. As I look at them prior to beckoning serve from their opponent, I notice that the #7 (the RB) is on the attack line and #17 (the RF) is three feet behind the attack line on the opposite side of the court. I whistle and beckon for serve and after the ball is contacted, I blew the whistle and called the overlap on #7 and #17.

The wonderful thing about working all these various levels is that, as an official, I see all sorts of defensive alignments that really make me work to know the serving orders of the teams. In addition, since Juniors do not usually have two certified referee's working their matches, oftentimes the receiving team gets away with a lot of overlaps because the second referee (who is usually a player or a coach) does not look for the overlap or does not recognize it when it occurs. Having done as many matches I have done over the years, I will catch the overlap much quicker from the stand than I do from the floor.