The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Varsity Match. The Line Judge ( high School Male )runs to the scorers table ( with the ball in his hand ) during three separate timeouts to eat potato chips. Both Umpire and referee observe this ( I am an observer at this match trying to pickup new mechanics ) and say and do nothing. Is this the time to take line judge aside and explain this is unacceptable? Or am I nit-picking? Not looking to replace him, just trying to keep the ball ( and the court ) free of junk. What do you think?
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

The line judge's place during the timeouts is on the referee stand side of the court at the intersection of the attack (10 foot) line and the sideline.

That's where the line judges should be going during time outs.

And the officials should have covered this during their pre-match conversation with the line judges.

-Homer-
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Homer,
Thanks for the reply.
I agree with all you said and if I had been the official, I would have covered all those things also. Having said that, if I am one of the match officials witnessing this, am I nit-picking if I ask the line judges to refrain from this activity and should I just consider replacing him
( seems harsh to me )?
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

You're not nit-picking.

I'd remind 'em once and if they proved unable to follow instructions, I'd seriously consider replacing 'em.

'Course, that assumes a replacement is available - which isn't always the case.

But at the least and whether or not you can replace 'em, the matter should be reported to the league commissioner and the officials' commissioner. Whoever is responsible for providing the line judges is responsible for providing competent ones - or at least ones which don't willfully disobey the directives of the referee. If they're not following directions, it's a matter which should be addressed by higher authority.

-Homer-