The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was watching a JV game the other day and there was a joust. The official immediately called a replay. I am new to volleyball officiating (high school) but I thought they changed that rule years ago. What is the rule on jousts? I appreciate any help.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I believe all rule sets (USAV and NFHS for certain) now treat a joust as a "play on" situation. The ball is considered last hit by the player on the opposite side of the net from the one the ball falls off on. The defending team has three hits left and the player involved in the joust may take the first hit.

If they were playing by NHFS rules, the ref was in error.

-Homer-
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

So let's say the followimg situation occurs:

A's second hit is a set which results in a joust between A2 and B2. After the joust the ball falls toward A's side of the net. If I understand what you're saying, A now has three more hits to get the ball over the net. Am I understanding the rule correctly?
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

That is correct. And any team member (including A2) may touch the ball first.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

PaREF has it exactly right.

-Homer-
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

During a joust, when both A and B players make a play for the ball, and the ball comes to a dead stop between their hands, but does not come in contact with the net. In this situation, is the ball still playable if one of the players forces the ball to go up?
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniSpiker
During a joust, when both A and B players make a play for the ball, and the ball comes to a dead stop between their hands, but does not come in contact with the net. In this situation, is the ball still playable if one of the players forces the ball to go up?
The ball remains in play regardless of where the ball goes, who forces it to go there or whether it contacts the net.

All jousts are now "play on" situations.

'Course, if the joust forces the ball into the antenna, it's a dead ball with the point awarded to the team opposite the side the ball eventually falls off on.

-Homer-
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer

'Course, if the joust forces the ball into the antenna, it's a dead ball with the point awarded to the team opposite the side the ball eventually falls off on.

-Homer-
According to the NFHS casebook (situation 9.4.6) when a joust results in the ball rolling along the top of the net into the antenna, the correct ruling is replay.

You never know with the rules mavens, but I think the logic is that a joust is simultaneous contact & considered instantaneous under 9.4.6.c, and since the ball becomes dead the instant it touches the antenna, 9.4.6.d doesn't come into play.

We had one last night towards the end of a very close match - joust between A & B, ball rolls along top of net towards antenna, but falls off before touching it & lands OOB on A's side of the net. Ruling - point awarded to A, as under 9.4.6.d B is considered to have last touched the ball.

Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer

-Homer-
According to the NFHS casebook (situation 9.4.6) when a joust results in the ball rolling along the top of the net into the antenna, the correct ruling is replay.
You're right, I blew this 'un.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea mucho culpa!

:-)

-Homer-