The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2024, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Catch, doubles, and lifts, oh my!

Hello all,

I worked my first USAV qualifier this weekend(13/14A/L). During one match, I had a coach send his captain to me complaining that the opposing teams setter was doubling/"lifting".

My question is what's the tolerance level for a setter having extended contact? How far down can a player go before it's considered "too much".

Same for doubles. If one of a players hand touches slightly before the other would you call that? I've normally just called egregious doubles but after talking with the R2 who is certified he agreed that I should have called doubles and catches more but didn't elaborate on what he was seeing.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2024, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's impossible to describe, and it varies between under-10 rec and NCAAW D1.

But, if "everyone" at a particular level / league / event thinks you should be calling it tighter / looser, you probably should be.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2024, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

I've always thought this a virtually impossible subject to cover for formal training.

I know I have learned by watching others, even listening to coaches to find what they want called.

Ultimately, I can't really explain it. I personally use the Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart method: "I know it when I see it."