The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

2 Doubles 2 TO in 30 sec

BJV A1 shoots ball - bounces off rim and partner calls double foul on A2 and B2. Since double foul is on try we go to AP and A gets ball back. B coach furious. He wants the ball. As we are about to inbound he calls TO and demands an explanation. I listen to him and then explain there was no team control so we have to go to AP. He calms down and game continues.

30 seconds later same to idiots working for position smack each other at the same time in front of me. All game we had been "talking" to them and each had several fouls as a result. My whistle goes off. They occurred at same time - no way I could say one happened slightly before the other. Double foul. However - this time A1 was holding the ball when the fouls took place. We go to POI. B's Coach goes balllistic and screams TO. Partner grants and he calls me over. I listen to him rant and when he has finished I explained to him that since ball was in team A control we go to POI on this one. He looks at me and asks: "then why the hell should I be charged 2 time outs for all of this?" I simply couldn't hold back and told him it was because he had requested them because he didn't understand the rule. He glared like he was going to exploded, nodded his head up and down and said "ok then".

It's rare I see two double fouls in one game let alone so close together with coach not understanding either of them. Anyone else have something like occur this year?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

A few weeks ago, I called a double foul. As I report the foul, the head coach of one of the teams says, "That's ridiculous. You have to call it both ways." And people wonder why we think most coaches are idiots...
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
A few weeks ago, I called a double foul. As I report the foul, the head coach of one of the teams says, "That's ridiculous. You have to call it both ways." And people wonder why we think most coaches are idiots...

the best part is that coach is STILL wondering why you fell to the gound laughing with tears running down your face.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:06pm
#thereferee99

call it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
after doing a jv game, stuck around to watch var.
just after opening tip. Team A advances the ball into front court and promptly has an illegal dribble.

I pipe up from behind the trail who made the call, "jeez, call it both ways!!" Trail got a chuckle out of it.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Anyone else have something like occur this year?
Just the part about a coach not understanding a rule.