The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2023, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Serve Part II

I am the R2. R1 calls for the serve. I observe the alignment of the Receiving team. I give a peak to observe the alignment of the Serving team. I notice what I believe to be an alignment error on the serving team (RB and RF are overlapping). I am not sure so I just store the information in my head. Serving team scores the point. R1 calls for serve. I take a better look at the serving team alignment. They are in the same alignment. Again I am not 100% that they are illegal. Serving team scores the point. R1 calls for serve. Same alignment. Serve team loses point. I get out my cheat sheet to note the rotation. I am now certain Serving team was out of alignment for their last 3 serves. Two of the serves they scored points. Substitutions were made by both teams. Before the request for serve, the New serving team calls Time out. Coming out of the time out the Coach from the old serving team requests an alignment check for their team. (I guess he believed they were in illegal alignment). I get the players into their appropriate positions.
Here is my question. Can I inform the R1 that the team was in illegal alignment for scoring of 2 points and thus have the 2 points removed?
Old Tue May 09, 2023, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I am the R2. R1 calls for the serve. I observe the alignment of the Receiving team. I give a peak to observe the alignment of the Serving team. I notice what I believe to be an alignment error on the serving team (RB and RF are overlapping). I am not sure so I just store the information in my head. Serving team scores the point. R1 calls for serve. I take a better look at the serving team alignment. They are in the same alignment. Again I am not 100% that they are illegal. Serving team scores the point. R1 calls for serve. Same alignment. Serve team loses point. I get out my cheat sheet to note the rotation. I am now certain Serving team was out of alignment for their last 3 serves. Two of the serves they scored points. Substitutions were made by both teams. Before the request for serve, the New serving team calls Time out. Coming out of the time out the Coach from the old serving team requests an alignment check for their team. (I guess he believed they were in illegal alignment). I get the players into their appropriate positions.
Here is my question. Can I inform the R1 that the team was in illegal alignment for scoring of 2 points and thus have the 2 points removed?
Can you? Sure. Is it a good idea at that point? Nope.

When you line them up, you can always make sure the R1 sees what the lineup *should* be, and hopefully the R1 will be more mindful moving forward.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue May 09, 2023, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Can you? Sure. Is it a good idea at that point? Nope.

When you line them up, you can always make sure the R1 sees what the lineup *should* be, and hopefully the R1 will be more mindful moving forward.
I agree. I have a hard time penalizing a team for requesting a lineup check to determine if they were out of order and then penalizing them for being out of alignment anyway. If it involves something that you shouldn't be looking at anyway as the R2, then I think you have potentially opened a can or worms for yourself and for your R1 (you basically questioned his credability in front of everyone). While the rules allow it, I think this would be a tough situation to call.
Old Wed May 10, 2023, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Depending on the relationship / experience of the officials, and assuming this is before the serve and not after the TO, R2 (or R1 for the receiving team) can give a discrete "out of rotation" signal to R1. R1 can either shake his head or make the call -- it's then up to R2 to explain it to the coach involved and / or take the heat if R2 is wrong.