The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2023, 12:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

6-1 vs. 5-2

As someone who never played the game, the only difference (to me) between a 5-1 offense and a 6-2 offense is that in the latter, there's always a back row setter.

Is there any other information that I should be processing based on which offense is running?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2023, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
It can be easy to put your brain on cruise control and always assume the setter is back row, then forget if a team is getting low on subs and that 6-2 has become a 5-1. You'll also want to be aware to ask for a new captain if your original setter is a captain, but you can get that info when you get the lineup from the coach before the match.

All in all though, when both teams are running a 6-2, it's way easier to know where the setters are.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Jan 18, 2023, 10:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
It can be easy to put your brain on cruise control and always assume the setter is back row, then forget if a team is getting low on subs and that 6-2 has become a 5-1.
Ok, thank you. It's not really an issue for me if the 6-2 becomes a 5-1 because my personal process is to track the setter AND the opposite. So even if the team runs 5-1, I track the setter's opposite across the back row. (I don't need to know where the setter is, because s/he is in the front row, so back row attack is no longer a concern.)

Basically, I treat every team as a 6-2; which is why I was wondering if there was anything else that I needed to be aware of with a 5-1.

The only time this process screws me up is if there's a wierd sub pattern in which a setter subs into a different position from the original setter. I had a school that did that once, but I don't see it very often.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2023, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

*Might* want to watch for setting to a back row hitter more often when setter is front row. If setter is also a somewhat-good hitter, might want to watch for libero to set.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2023, 09:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
*Might* want to watch for setting to a back row hitter more often when setter is front row.
True! But the setter can't hurt me in that scenario. I just need to know who the back row hitter(s) are.

Quote:
If setter is also a somewhat-good hitter, might want to watch for libero to set.
True! But I have watch those feet on every libero overhand set anyway!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2023, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ok, thank you. It's not really an issue for me if the 6-2 becomes a 5-1 because my personal process is to track the setter AND the opposite. So even if the team runs 5-1, I track the setter's opposite across the back row. (I don't need to know where the setter is, because s/he is in the front row, so back row attack is no longer a concern.)

Basically, I treat every team as a 6-2; which is why I was wondering if there was anything else that I needed to be aware of with a 5-1.

The only time this process screws me up is if there's a wierd sub pattern in which a setter subs into a different position from the original setter. I had a school that did that once, but I don't see it very often.
Then I'd just remind that it's VERY easy to just..."forget" for one rally where the setter is. It's very easy to mistakenly assume the setter is back row and whistle a fault when there wasn't one, or assume she's front row and get reminded when everyone's screaming for a back row fault.

If you're saying you never have this issue, then congrats, you're far ahead of most people here.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Jan 29, 2023, 04:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post

If you're saying you never have this issue, then congrats, you're far ahead of most people here.
For some reason, I just saw this last sentence of your post, Felix. And believe me, I'm NOT saying that. There are times, unfortunately, when the rally gets long and intense and I realize I forgot what rotation a team is in.

All I'm saying is that before EVERY point (and sometimes during the point), I remind myself which back row position the setter OR THE OPPOSITE is in. If the setter is in the front row, then I don't care which position she's in, because she can't hurt me in terms of back row attack/block. But in that case, I still remind myself which position her opposite is in for two reasons: 1) she obviously CAN hurt me with a back-row attack and 2) that reminds me when the setter will rotate to the back row.

That's why I originally asked about 6-2/5-1 differences, because I mentally treat all offenses as if they're running a back-row setter on every play.