Thread: 6-1 vs. 5-2
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 24, 2023, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ok, thank you. It's not really an issue for me if the 6-2 becomes a 5-1 because my personal process is to track the setter AND the opposite. So even if the team runs 5-1, I track the setter's opposite across the back row. (I don't need to know where the setter is, because s/he is in the front row, so back row attack is no longer a concern.)

Basically, I treat every team as a 6-2; which is why I was wondering if there was anything else that I needed to be aware of with a 5-1.

The only time this process screws me up is if there's a wierd sub pattern in which a setter subs into a different position from the original setter. I had a school that did that once, but I don't see it very often.
Then I'd just remind that it's VERY easy to just..."forget" for one rally where the setter is. It's very easy to mistakenly assume the setter is back row and whistle a fault when there wasn't one, or assume she's front row and get reminded when everyone's screaming for a back row fault.

If you're saying you never have this issue, then congrats, you're far ahead of most people here.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee