The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Asst. Scorekeeper question (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/103877-asst-scorekeeper-question.html)

Scrapper1 Fri Jun 08, 2018 08:21pm

Asst. Scorekeeper question

I was Libero Tracker tonight and thought of an odd situation (which did NOT happen in my game) and was wondering how it would be handled.

I use NCAA-W rules and scoresheets. So on the tracker sheet, the first time a player serves in each rotation, we make a tally mark in the "Service" box. Suppose Team A rotates after winning a rally, but before the new server legally contacts the serve, a red card is issued to Team A.

The server for Team A never legally contacted the serve, so I'm not supposed to make the tally mark, right? So is there anything else I should do to show that the player "should have" served, but didn't? If not, that line of the tracker sheet will always have one fewer tally marks than it normally should; which just seems like it would make it more difficult to reconstruct the game if it became necessary to do so.

bob jenkins Sat Jun 09, 2018 07:47am

The (or at least one of) the purpose of teh tally marks is so you can tell who the next server is (as a check against the scorer putting the score on the wrong line) -- so I'd put a tally mark there.

FMadera Mon Jun 11, 2018 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1022261)
I was Libero Tracker tonight and thought of an odd situation (which did NOT happen in my game) and was wondering how it would be handled.

I use NCAA-W rules and scoresheets. So on the tracker sheet, the first time a player serves in each rotation, we make a tally mark in the "Service" box. Suppose Team A rotates after winning a rally, but before the new server legally contacts the serve, a red card is issued to Team A.

The server for Team A never legally contacted the serve, so I'm not supposed to make the tally mark, right? So is there anything else I should do to show that the player "should have" served, but didn't? If not, that line of the tracker sheet will always have one fewer tally marks than it normally should; which just seems like it would make it more difficult to reconstruct the game if it became necessary to do so.

You may be confusing the tally mark on the libero tracking sheet with the tick mark used on the USAV scoresheet. The tally mark is to indicate when that position is to serve; not necessarily that the person in that position has necessarily served.

Put the tally mark in.

Scrapper1 Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1022295)
You may be confusing the tally mark on the libero tracking sheet with the tick mark used on the USAV scoresheet. The tally mark is to indicate when that position is to serve; not necessarily that the person in that position has necessarily served.

Put the tally mark in.

If it ever happens in one of my games, I will put the tally mark in. Thank you!

But, for the record, I was not confusing it with the USAV scoresheet, as I didn't even know there was a different sheet for Libero Tracking. Thanks for the info!

PaREF Wed Jun 13, 2018 09:39pm

I'm confused. Are you saying that you weren't using a libero tracker sheet when you were assistant scorekeeper? What were you using?

Scrapper1 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaREF (Post 1022353)
I'm confused. Are you saying that you weren't using a libero tracker sheet when you were assistant scorekeeper? What were you using?

I was using an NCAA Libero Tracking sheet. Felix suggested that I might have gotten confused by thinking about the USAV Libero Tracking sheet. But I didn't even realize that USAV's sheet was different from the NCAA sheet.