The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   L serving, 3 player exchange (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/102991-l-serving-3-player-exchange.html)

gair-z Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58pm

L serving, 3 player exchange

NFHS:
I have refs on both sides of this... so would appreciate your take(s).

Rule 10.4.5.b - when serving, the libero is not required to leave the playing area or be out of the set for 1 rally/dead ball before replacing the incoming player in the right-back position.

The question is, CAN she leave the court during these replacements?

SITUATION, L on Team A in LB, Team A wins rally and rotates. L is replaced by #14 who goes to LF. L goes off in replacement zone and stands just off court. L then replaces #7 who was in RF and the next server.

Legal?

Lcubed48 Mon Oct 09, 2017 01:06pm

10-4-5b

My initial answer is yes. That is legal. Most times the L will simply take the ball to go serve while the new LF and the old RF both exit through the replacement zone. If I'm not correct, please let know. Your rule reference is correct as I see it.

bob jenkins Mon Oct 09, 2017 01:57pm

I also vote Yes -- as long as it doesn't cause a delay, and they get it done before R1 beckons for serve.

pavbref Mon Oct 09, 2017 01:59pm

From the PA state interp:

If the L went to the bench, she should not be allowed to replace the serving player without sitting out one completed rally. Also, use preventative officiating early in the season to teach the teams the proper procedure by allowing the change, but warn the teams that this is not the proper procedure.

FMadera Mon Oct 09, 2017 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavbref (Post 1009834)
From the PA state interp:

If the L went to the bench, she should not be allowed to replace the serving player without sitting out one completed rally. Also, use preventative officiating early in the season to teach the teams the proper procedure by allowing the change, but warn the teams that this is not the proper procedure.

I understand that's the interpretation...but that's counter to the actual rule, which allows for two replacements during the same dead ball if the libero is going to be the next legal server, and I believe, permits (but does not require) the libero to stay on the court for both replacements.

gair-z Mon Oct 09, 2017 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1009835)
I understand that's the interpretation...but that's counter to the actual rule, which allows for two replacements during the same dead ball if the libero is going to be the next legal server, and I believe, permits (but does not require) the libero to stay on the court for both replacements.

Felix, this is the way i interpret it. It's 2 individual replacements which is allowed per 10.4.1.c.
10.4.5.b allows the player to stay on the court for both.

Tony.oe4 Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39am

I also agree with Felix. The rule allows the libero to not leave the court on the double replacement but it does not keep a team from actually doing a double replacement. As stated, preventative officiating early in the season with the coach would speed this process up later in the season.