The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Line judge communication

I am line judging a college match for the first time soon. I have a question about communicating to the R1.

Situation: Opposing players go up of a joust. During the joust, I clearly see player R1 push the ball into the antenna. I know I waive my flag and point at the antenna. The question is if the R1 doesn't know who touched the ball last before the ball hit the antenna, how do I communicate that to the R1 if s/he asks for my help? Do I point to the to the opposite end line or my end line to indicate which team touched the ball last or do I just yell at the R1 which team touched last (just joking on this one). But seriously, how do I communicate which team the ball was out off of if the R1 asks for help?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Line Judge Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
I am line judging a college match for the first time soon. I have a question about communicating to the R1.

Situation: Opposing players go up of a joust. During the joust, I clearly see player R1 push the ball into the antenna. I know I waive my flag and point at the antenna. The question is if the R1 doesn't know who touched the ball last before the ball hit the antenna, how do I communicate that to the R1 if s/he asks for my help? Do I point to the to the opposite end line or my end line to indicate which team touched the ball last or do I just yell at the R1 which team touched last (just joking on this one). But seriously, how do I communicate which team the ball was out off of if the R1 asks for help?
You point toward the team at fault --i.e. if the team is on your side of the net, point at your end line and if the opposite team point toward your side line. This is the recommended practice as shown in the PAVO line judge certification video.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2016, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Tony-when is your Match? If possible is there a streaming video Link? I'm sure you'll kill it out there. I make that mechanic on even the most obvious antenna violations. Just remember there's no pursuit in college this year lol. Already seen some d1 line judges who had momentary brain facts and showed the old pursueable signal.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Sep 25, 2016, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

My first LJ match as a certified LJ was this past Friday. I did ask my R1 this question and he answered it the same way as the previous poster. The match went very well. There were only a couple close line calls and one possible touch that none of the officials saw. Other than that, it went very smooth. I can't wait until my next match this week. I enjoy officiating HS volleyball but I have a lot of fun line judging as well.