The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Track & Field

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

What Pentathlon events does your state have the boys do?
NFHS "suggests" Long Jump
High Jump
200m dash
Discus
and 1600m run
This suggestion is rule 8 and of course has the catch all of "unless state association rules apply" is there.

New York follows this order for the boys:
110m Hurdles
High Jump
Shot Put
Long Jump
1500m run.

I'm curious what other events and order of events are used in other states and for that matter, what rule guidelines are used. Guidelines are things like the false start modifications, hurdle lane assignments, vertical jump increments.
One thing for sure, there are no scoring tables for a 1600m event, so why in the world NFHS suggests this event is a mystery.

Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
What Pentathlon events does your state have the boys do?
NFHS "suggests" Long Jump
High Jump
200m dash
Discus
and 1600m run
This suggestion is rule 8 and of course has the catch all of "unless state association rules apply" is there.

110m Hurdles
High Jump
Shot Put
Long Jump
1500m run.

I'm curious what other events and order of events are used in other states and for that matter, what rule guidelines are used. Guidelines are things like the false start modifications, hurdle lane assignments, vertical jump increments.
One thing for sure, there are no scoring tables for a 1600m event, so why in the world NFHS suggests this event is a mystery.

Tom,
I would love to see the Pentathalon happen in Michigan.
That is one of the premiere events of Track & Field.
We have to sell this sport to the public somehow to help make it the great spectator sport it could be.
mick
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

How do you fit in the Pent?

It is a struggle to keep duals to three hours here.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

The pentathlon event is contested at most weekend meets, and also at the end of the season league championships, all sectional meets, the state qualifier and one final time at the state meet.

Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Lots of "views" on this post, but from the minimal responses, it seems that the Pent may not be a contested event at he high school level anywhere except for NY?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Lots of "views" on this post, but from the minimal responses, it seems that the Pent may not be a contested event at he high school level anywhere except for NY?
Tom,
Is there any kind of "history" that could show an inordinate success rate for NY athletes in any of the multiple events?
I'll bring this up at the ATOM meeting in September and see if there is any interest.
mick
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

From In and OH, unless it is a niche area thing, I don't know of any schools here that run it.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

110m Hurdles
High Jump
Shot Put
Long Jump
1500m run.

Tom,
What are the guidelines and increments in New York?
Thanks.
mick
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I'm not aware of any stats as an official, but I'd guess that the section chairpeople have some to show any success rate. I do know of a high jumper a few years ago who was real good at the HJ (6-8) and a pretty good hurdler. While he still does the HJ in college, his coach saw great potential as a decathlete and has him compete in that as well. I know I was shocked when he came over at a meet I was doing to sign in at the pole vault. I told him he must have been in the sun too long. But no, he was really entered for practice pruposes.

There is another event we do here that is real popular at weekend high school invitationals. The 2000 and 3000 Steeplechase.
I was surprised to see 19 maybe 20 NY girls entered in this years NSSF Outdoor Championship held at NC State (Raleigh, NC). I can't locate the results, but I think of the top eight finishers, six were from NY. I'm sure college track programs take notice.

As far as guidelines, I'd say we use a cross between NCAA and USATF rules. Everything done metrically, 3cm increment in the HJ, even numbered hurdle lanes with no more than three in a heat (mainly for timing purposes), three false start max, 30 minutes between events.
One thing for sure, the multievent official is busy from start to finish with the paperwork for each event and the scoring so prior to each event start, he/she can inform the athletes there scores and place at the moment in time.

It's a lot of fun to do though.